Leopard install possible? Need help...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drivindisco, Aug 25, 2009.

1. drivindisco macrumors newbie

Hello everyone... I'm at my wits ends. I'm reviving an old PB G4 1.33ghz w/ 2 GB Ram. I have backed up my Leopard Install DVD to a .dmg. I have misplaced the original install dvd, and I'm trying to install Leopard from a .dmg.

I've tried burning the image to a dual layer DVD, but apparently my drive only supports -R discs, so my burn is useless... drive just spits out dvd

I'm now trying to install from a 5th gen IPOD (connected USB), which has been formatted for disk use. I used Apple Partition Map to boot the IPOD with the restored image.

Yet, when I try to select the IPOD as a startup disk its not there. This is where I'm stuck. I've found tons of info concerning intel macs and the 5th gen ipod, but nothing on the powerpc macs.

Long story short:

Can I boot a 5th gen IPOD on a PPC? If so, How? It is a USB problem, would firewire connection work?

Are there any other ways to install from this image? HELP!!!!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't boot any PPC Mac using USB. I don't think the 5th Generation iPod support Firewire...

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

AFAIK, your computer can only boot from FireWire.

4. drivindisco thread starter macrumors newbie

So my problem is trying to boot via usb. If I find a firewire cable it should work right?

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not true with the later models you can boot some PPC Macs from a USB 2.0 drive.

Not sure if the OPs machine falls into that category though.

If you have access to another mac you could boot the Powerbook into target disc mode (hold down T on boot) and connect it to the other mac via a firewire cable and restore the .dmg that way.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You can't hook a FireWire cable to a non-existant FireWire port. That iPod only supports USB connectivity.

7. drivindisco thread starter macrumors newbie

New question... I should be able to boot from an external usb hd right? Assuming the drive is formatted and the image is mounted properly.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

No. You will have the same problem. If you can't boot from a USB iPod, you can't boot from anything else USB.

9. drivindisco thread starter macrumors newbie

My macbook pro will read my install dvd. If I connect target disk mode, can I use the dvd? Also, I'm fairly new to this territory on a mac. Does target disk mode work via usb? There is no firewire 400 on the macbook pro

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Just create a GUID partition on the PB and using Disk Utility restore the DMG to it. You can then install Leopard from that and afterward delete the partition.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It still will not read the DVD. However, you can connect your iPod to the MBP, boot off the iPod, and then select your PowerBook as the destination hard drive. You can purchase a FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 cable, or an adapter to be used with an existing FireWire 400 or 800 cable.

12. drivindisco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I'm not trying to buy anything else. If keep buying stuff, I might as well buy a new leo disk at this point. I have a firewire 400 external drive. I'm going to create a partition on it and see if it works. Thanks for your help

13. drivindisco thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried installing from wd firewire external drive. Now at least the install shows up in the startup disk, but when I selected Leopard disk to install. The computer shuts down, then reboots Tiger. How do I get it to go to the leopard partition. I'm pretty sure I'm doing this correctly. I held down option at boot as well. It doesn't show the leopard as startup. Help! Please of course....

14. drivindisco thread starter macrumors newbie

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I thought GUID was only to boot intel macs. Thus, you had to use the Apple Partition Map, to make partition bootable for the PB. Might try it anyway.... can't do anything but not work

15. drivindisco thread starter macrumors newbie

Gave up! Must give apple props for just making ripping off OS X, not impossible, but a royal pain. Just ponied up the $130 an purchased a new copy of Leopard. The thing that really sucks is I have already purchased this once and apple should give replacement discs in my opinion. Seems like all Apple really cares about is getting another dollar. Whether its an iphone, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, intel macs, and not supportting ppc macs; they just want more more more from us for nothing but small upgrades:mad::confused::mad:. Talk about a truly disgruntled, mac owner (and stock holder). I might just have to switch to windows 7 when I replace the PB!

16. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite