Leopard install problem on G5 PowerPC / need command line firmware info

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mltechz, Sep 22, 2008.

1. mltechz macrumors newbie

Hi - I have a Power MAC G5 that "has" Tiger 10.4.2 on it. The problem is that it wont boot past "login window starting".

So I decided to buy Leopard. Problem is that it keeps kicking the DVD out during the "c" boot.

Now Im told the system might need a firmware update for the DVD player.
    "Apple Superdrive Firmware Update 2.1".

Heres my problem: I cant boot into Tiger. I get stuck at the login screen. So I want to know if there is a way to do a firmware update in "Single user mode".

Thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) You could try booting your system into Tiger while holding Shift, which should attempt to correct whatever is causing the problem and get you in via Safe Mode, then restart and you should get in.

2) Most Apple Firmware updates are availalbe to be burnt onto a CD/DVD, so you should see if that is the case, then find someone who can do that for you so you can use it.

TEG

3. mltechz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I can burn the firmware - thats not the problem. I need to be able to install it at the command line.

SHIFT does not fix the issue.

Thanks.

4. trprecision macrumors newbie

Problem

I know it has been 2 years but I was wondering how did you get the problem fixed. If you remember. I am currently having a similar problem. Thanks

5. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

First of all, you should have upgraded to 10.4.11 ages ago. Upgrading is almost always a good idea, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Rarely is there ever any bugs introduced by upgrading the OS, and usually things are fixed, so this problem might never have occurred if you had upgraded.

As to what you should do? Trash it. Apple has stopped supporting PowerPCs, and if it isn't working, you might be able to sell it at the very least to a parts supplier, and use that money for a new computer. You should have kept backups of what you have on your computer if you value what's on it, so if you don't have a backup, I assume you don't need what's on it, so it shouldn't be a problem just tossing it, and if you do have a backup, you can restore from that when you get the new computer. Although tiger doesn't have Time Machine.