Leopard Install Problem: URGENT!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleCrisp, Nov 8, 2007.

1. AppleCrisp macrumors member

Hi, I just installed Leopard UTD on my Mac. It shut down after installation, and it booted up to the login screen. I entered my password correctly, the screen fades to blue and then the login screen reappears. Ive tried atleast 10 times, with the same result each time. Some help please!

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Can you reset the password of your account by booting from the Leopard DVD, and choosing "reset password" from the utilities menu?

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

This didn't work for me or a few other thousand folks. I ended up doing an archive and install.

4. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member

See i dont think the problem is the password, because when i purposely enter the wrong one the box shakes, but when i enter my password it goes to blue and then back again?

to mindflux, was the archive and install the only solution?

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

The reset password solution mentions invoking your keyring editor ... but I couldn't figure that out. Since the reset password doesn't reset your login password (according to it).

I don't know much more, I just did an archive and install to get it over with.

6. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member

alright....and how do you do an archive and install from that login screen?

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

You don't. You boot with your Leopard disc in the drive and hold down C on the keyboard. It'll boot from the DVD (takes a while).. and down in the lower right of one of the first screens is customize or install options (or something like that).. to chose upgrade, archive & install or erase and install.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

9. AppleCrisp thread starter macrumors member

thanks archive and install fixed the problem...leopards running great!

10. ncshawng macrumors member

If you're the only user of the machine, why bother with a password? I have left mine as blank in Tiger and Leopard with no issues. When I get a prompt for the password (as when installing software or unlocking a folder, I simply hit return or click Ok.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Because thats a huge security hole, if your machine is on a network/internet. For that matter even as the station that is not very secure.