Leopard Install problems on iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbsp72, Dec 23, 2009.

1. jbsp72 macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I have a new iMac machine which came with OS X 10.6. I wanted to convert it to a dual boot machine running both OS X 10.5 and 10.6. When I inserted my Leopard DVD into the iMac and restarted the Mac , I just got a blank screen and the OS X installer didn't launch. It didn't even boot the old Snow Leopard installation. It was just stuck at a blank white screen.

I tried holding down the option key while restarting the Mac. This time it was showing only my Snow Leopard installation as the bootable drive. It wasn't showing my leopard DVD at all.I could see the Leopard DVD in the disk utility of Snow Leopard, I tried a Apple Hardware Check before installation and I got an error saying the Hardware Check could not be performed on the machine.

What do you think the problem might be? Is it not possible to have a parallel install of 10.6 and 10.5( paticularly installing 10.5 after 10.6)?

Thanks
    Shivaprasad

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can not install any Mac OS X version that is older than the on it came with.

So if the Mac came with 10.6.2, you can't install Mac OS X 10.6.1 or even 10.5.x .

But you can dual boot two different Mac OS X versions though, but none can be older than the one that it came with.