Leopard install specific for Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markturnip, Dec 10, 2008.

1. markturnip macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm aware that in installing Leopard on a drive using one Mac it can then be booted on another Mac without a problem.

I'm getting a new MacBook Pro this christmas (mainly out of selling my existing iMac 08) I want to back up everything before selling the it. I have already bought a 320gb SATA drive to upgrade the MBPro, if I just install Mac Leopard onto the drive using my iMac and an external enclosure and backup all my stuff to it, will it work 100% on the MBPro? - Or is there certain things which are specifically installed when installing on the Mac...?

Hope my question made sense!

Thanks!

MT

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Are you saying that you want to back up your iMac and then use the backup on your Macbook Pro? If so, what did you use (program specific) to back up the iMac?

3. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Well when my friend upgraded his mbp's hd to a larger one we took his MBP hd and put it into my mb. Then we booted his mbp with target disc mode and used superduper to make a clone of the hd in my mb to his mbp.

That worked just fine so yours should be the same.

As in clone your imac hd to external. Boot new computer with target disc mode and format the hd and then just clone the external to the new computer.

Did that make sense?

4. markturnip thread starter macrumors newbie

Great thanks for the responses!

So there's no difference in the OS on an iMac to to a MBpro?

I currently have a 320gb drive in my iMac and it's full of junk with only about 20gb free...
    I think I'll dump the whole drive to this new 320gb using Carbon Copy Cloner.
    Then when I have the new computer, format the supplied 250gb drive, and copy everything I want to it (possibly using TM). Then install Leopard fresh on the 320gb drive (at this point in the MBPro) and then use the 250gb drive as a backup drive...

That way I'll have a fresh Leopard on the 320gb drive, and plenty of space....

Either that, or I just install Leopard onto the 320gb using target mode, then backup everything I want to the drive...
    My only concern was that Leopard may be Mac specific... & I may forget to back something up!

5. markturnip thread starter macrumors newbie

I remember having an application which displays the contents of a hard drive and what's using up a majority of the space, especially indicating large files...

Do anyone know what this programs called?