Leopard Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thesdx, Sep 14, 2007.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

When it comes out, will you be able to simply do an "upgrade", where your files and programs remain, but the OS gets upgraded?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes.
    No reformatting, no driver crap, no big problems. It really will be pretty simple.

3. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I like to do a clean install on new OS releases. What you can do is an "Archive and Install" which will install a "clean" copy of the OS but retain your apps and docs.

5. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I am also going to wipe and reinstalled. I have lots of old documents and test data on my system. It makes life a lot easier to just archive it all, and pull things back over cleanly. It would take a month to selectively delete things.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

What is the difference between archive and install, and upgrade? Don't you still keep all your docs and apps in both?

7. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I will definitely backup everything (I do every week anyway) and do a clean erase and install. Clean install of iLife 08 and Office... mmm... just like getting a new Mac, minus the smell.

8. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

lol! Yeh I remember when I first got my Mac there was this particular smell I got from it that I never have got from other computers. But definitly a clean install me thinks. Might help it clear all the junk that 10.4 has recieved over the while and might speed things up a bit. Hopefully...