Leopard Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Clusty, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Clusty macrumors regular

What's the best way to install Leopard?

1. Erase and Install - I could do this, but there'd be a lot I'd have to move back, and the only external drive I have is a network drive, so I think this one is out.

2. Archive and Install - So basiclly, this moves all your files/folders to a folder on the drive. Is it easy to move the applications and other things back? I do have Photoshop, which does have a lot of files in different places, but I guess I could reinstall. I also have Microsoft Office '04. I've heard that this installs a lot of files that most people don't need. Do they take up much space?

3. Upgrade - This one sounds the best, but I have some files left by applications that would be nice if they were gone because they take up space and I don't know where they are.

All I have that would need to be kept is photos, some applications, and a few documents.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think Erase&Install is definitely worth the extra hour or so work involved...

3. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Seconded, you can't beat a nice fresh start.

4. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I second psycho's opinion, people who did erase and install seem to have fewer problems overall (this statement is not based on empirical evidence)

5. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so how would all of you recommend backing up? I'm still using Tiger(duh). Also.. I'd have to backup either to my own computer & then across the network, or directly to my network drive.

6. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I have Microsoft Office 2004, how would I go about reinstalling that? I've already made a list of all the files I need to backup, and now I'm working on applications to reinstall.

7. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Aye? the same way one always would - do you expect there to be a special way or something?

8. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

I was wondering if I could just install it and use the same key, or if I had to deactivate it or something like that. Not really any special way.

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Why would need to deactivate it? this isn't windows, you didn't need to activate it, so it doesn't need deactivated. Plonk it in the drive and install it.

10. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

If you make a bootable backup of your Tiger system with Carbon Copy Cloner, you will be able to use Migration Assistant to restore your files and your old settings, Office:mac 2004 included. Just make sure to update to the latest versions of your current applications to ensure they are Leopard compatible.

I did an Erase and Install to Leopard, this way and I'm a happy camper.

the downside is you need and external Drive to do this (Firewire for PPC's or USB-Firewire for Intel Macs

:apple: