Leopard install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dukebound85, May 10, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I was curious if I could install leopard from my desktop with my laptops hdd connected and then insert the hdd into my laptop

iow

connect laptop hdd to desktop
    install leopard
    put laptop hdd in laptop

you may ask why not install from laptop? well, it would just take more time for me at the moment

is this possible?

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Hmmm, might have driver issues?

Can you start the laptop up in target mode? I've installed Mac OS X in that manner before, seemed to work fine.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is possible, also via Target Disk Mode, if you have Firewire on both Macs.

But know, that during the install, the setup will install the drivers for your iMac on the MB's HDD, and may not run most efficiently.

You can also use Leopard's Remote Disk feature, maybe.

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Remote Disc is your best bet. If you use Target Disk mode it will probably still install the desktop driver package.

5. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i thought remote disc is only for the air, correct?

there should be no fear from installing the 'desktop driver package' as there is no such thing, unlike windows.

it is possible to install directly from within a running os x environment, it just requires editing a plist on the installation disc. let me know if this is what you want to do and i will check details with an install disc at home.

it is likely faster just to go ahead and do it and you would probably be done by now anyway.