Leopard installation fail. Will they return it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darrendman, Jun 3, 2009.

1. darrendman macrumors newbie

Well the lady I talked to at Apple apparently didn't know what she was talking about, and after 3 attempts to install Leopard onto my ibook 4g. I discovered that the laptop does not come with enough RAM to install it. So, since it was never installed, but obviously has been opened.. is it going to be hard to try and return it?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Apple (like most electronics stores) will not accept software after it has been opened. Sorry :(

Why not just get more RAM for your iBook? Leopard requires 512MB of RAM, and if you have less than that -- wow, your computer must run realllllly slooow! You may want to consider getting an upgrade, which will definitely speed up the machine AND let you install Leopard. Best of both worlds.

A good place to buy RAM is online. Crucial.com is a good start, and RAM is usually quite cheap.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Most likely. You could call the Apple Store ahead of time and ask to speak to someone about it.

4. darrendman thread starter macrumors newbie

it was never installed on my comp. It wouldn't even start to install it. I'd rather just buy the new $999 ibook, get a free ipod. And sell this grandpa

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

In that case, I'd say sell the Leopard disk with the iBook. If you're a student, you can then put that money towards a $949 MacBook w/ a free iPod touch.

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

It's not a matter of whether you installed it or not. If you opened the box, the software could have been installed or copied, ready to create pirate copies. Unfortunately for you, it's the minority who make life difficult for the majority.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you talked to someone in the store, you might get lucky talking to a manager who will believe the story. Most would probably just tell you you're out of luck, but some are trusting enough to believe you and might make an exception. Sorry you were misled.

jW

8. iGary Guest

iGary

As others have stated, you might be able to get a manager to be sympathetic to your cause, but in all likelihood, you won't be able to return it, as you have opened it up.