Leopard Installer can't see my hard drive

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Ugh, this is frustrating. I put the Leopard disk in, run the installer, hit restart, the installer starts from the disk, click accept on the user agreement screen, then I get to the "Select a Destination" window. The window where the list of hard drives should be is completely blank. The installer apparently can't see my hard drive. Startup disk running from the installer disk can't see it either. Disk Utility sees the drive itself but doesn't show that it contains a mounted volume, and there doesn't seem to be any option to mount it. I booted back into Tiger (by option-booting) and ran repair permissions, but the problem persists.

Hardware is a 2.0 GHz Core Duo 20" iMac with a stock 250 GB hard drive. I don't have any hardware hooked up to it except keyboard and mouse. I haven't done anything weird to the system either. No haxies, etc. Has anyone else seen this problem? Sort of puts a damper on the fun I was expecting tonight :(...

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
I had the same issue and found the answers on the Apple Support Forum.

Just wait it out! After a few minutes of doing nothing, the installer will magically see your hard drive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.