Leopard installer does not start on Mac Mini with external DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trickyplayer, Oct 27, 2007.

1. trickyplayer macrumors newbie

I have a G4 Mac Mini and I am using an external DVD drive. The Mac recognises the Leopard install disc. However every time I request the install my Mac Mini restarts but the installer does not start. I have attempted restart whilst holding the C key but this does not work. Also I have attempted to add the install DVD as the start up disc but the disc is not available to select. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

2. MyMac8MyPC macrumors member

Just curious, why aren't you using the built-in drive in the mini? :confused:

3. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Yeah, this is a weird thing to want to do. :)

Have you tried just using the "Start-Up Disk" control panel to set it to start up from the external DVD?

4. Steflinsky macrumors member

Steflinsky

Hello

Hello

J'ai installer le Salopard sur mon Mbp hier soire et en lorsque j ai lancé Vlc (non mis a jour) est ça à super planter grave tou le system.... j'ai du l éteindre par le bouton.

Je suis aller l'installer sur le mac mini d'un amis.Le mac mini (G4) ne voulait pas le dvd d'install... il le recracher au bout de 10 seconde alors j ai reinitialiser le firmaware (alp+pomme+o+f) apres il a reussi a demarrer avec mais quand j ai voulue selmectionner le volume, il ne reconnaissait pas le disque dure...alors j ai quitter le programme d'installation pour choisir le disque de demarrage et il la trouve a ce moment la ....

Bonjour

I have install Mac Os LEOPARD on my Mbp Yesterday, and when i'have launch Vlc ... the ystem was crash...

I have install Leopard on a mac mini from a friend .... and the mac mini no want to read the dvd... He eject it after 10 seconde... So , i have reset the firmware by the (alt+apple+o+f) combinaison.(and etc.... reset set defaults...bla bla..). And the Install was launch....

BUT when the install ask how HD i want to use.... NOTHING... for resolvt it... quit the installation and select the startup disque when they come...and come back to the installation without to reboot on the startupdisk... and the HD is HERE

Au cas ou ca aide quelqu'un

#plus

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You have two ways of doing it
    1 - Using your internal Mac Mini drive for the Leopard DVD
    or
    2 - Repartitioning your hard drive, install OS X Tiger to the larger partition, copying the disk to the smaller partition (via CCC), booting off the smaller partition (the one that you copied leopard too), and installing leopard on the bigger partition. Yes you'd lose about 20% of your disk space (if you have a 40 GB Drive), but that's the only other way you could do it.

Note: - IT HAS TO BE A FIREWIRE EXTERNAL (NOT USB) BEFORE YOU CAN BOOT OFF OF IT =P

Hope that helps.