Leopard installer for "PowerBook 5,1", "PowerBook 5,9", and "iMac PowerMac12,1"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tunacleaner, Aug 5, 2017.

1. tunacleaner macrumors newbie

I have a few old PowerPC Macs and I'd like to install OSX Leopard on them. I don't have the original installation discs or hard drives. After discovering that I can't just download an installer and that I need to use a physical installation disc, I figured I would just need to pick up a Leopard installation disc off of ebay. But now I'm reading in various places that just any old Leopard installation disc won't work--there are different Leopard installation discs for different mac models...

Does anyone know how I would go about finding a full OSX Leopard Installation Disc that's compatible with each of the mac products listed in the title? Maybe there's some online resource that maps the OSX Leopard Installation Disc product identifiers to compatible Mac products?

2. AphoticD macrumors 6502a

AphoticD

None of the PowerPC models shipped with Leopard. So any standard Leopard Retail DVD will work on those Macs. Just don't buy a MacBook restore disc (which shipped with Leopard) in hope of using it on PowerPC.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Get the retail disk (will have a giant X centered on top of a purple background), and you'll be fine.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 5, 2017 ---
    Alternatively, you can burn your own using the image of 10.5.4 found here. The downside is you need a blank dual-layer DVD.

4. tunacleaner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much. Just to confirm, the file I need is Leopard_10_5_4.dmg_.zip?

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes. After you install you can download this to update to 10.5.8 or simply do it through the Apple Software Update.

6. eyoungren, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You use Disk Utility to burn the disk image to a dual layer disk.

Don't open the DMG before the burn. Just tell DU where it is and let it do its thing.

If you do not have a dual layer burner you'll need to find a Mac (or a PC capable of burning a DMG) that has one.

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher