Leopard is running on a public computer lab

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I stumbled across a computer lab that has 10.5 Leopard installed on two of its computers(!!). Definitely 10.5 and not a bunch of skins/plugins, because About This Mac confirmed it. Of course it must be a developer build, and it was probably the first one because it was before the dock got that "crosswalk" separator thing.

I'm pretty sure this is illegal?

Anyhoo, so I finally got to use Leopard and to be honest, it's not that huge of a change from 10.4 so there wasn't a lot to WOW me. The different Finder look was about the biggest change in usability, which isn't huge.

Also, the little blue "gem" thing that now appears in the dock for active applications instead of the little black arrow was VERY hard to see, I thought.

Anyhoo, enough with my complaining, that wasn't the point. Just seems very illegal that they have this running publicly on two computers!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Anyhoo, enough with my complaining, that wasn't the point. Just seems very illegal that they have this running publicly on two computers!

VERY illegal. I'm wondering if a staffer at the lab did it, or if they just don't have those computers locked down well enough to prevent a student from installing a new OS.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
OMG scan-duh-lous!!!!!11!!11one

Someone's gonna get a nice whooping from Apple's ninjas. :rolleyes:

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
University.
A university is a breeding ground for media piracy. Not saying it's legal and should be condoned but it's a reality.

we've got 25 000 at my school ranging from undergrads to Ph.D's --- with the departments being able to by licensing CHEAP software gets out like MAD

ppc_michael

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm wondering if a staffer at the lab did it, or if they just don't have those computers locked down well enough to prevent a student from installing a new OS.
Definitely the IT staffer. The labs have been closed all summer and he thinks he's some sort of "hacker" or something. I dunno.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
VERY illegal. I'm wondering if a staffer at the lab did it, or if they just don't have those computers locked down well enough to prevent a student from installing a new OS.
From my personal experience with leopard they would have had to of been there for quite some time. It too two hours for 9a499 to install for me.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I think that's funny

It shouldn't take two hours to install though

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
How do you know its not one of their Beta testers.

What better way to find bugs than to actually let people use it. That's what MS does...