Leopard is the future

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aeaglex07, Jun 17, 2007.

1. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

What a week it's been! On Monday of this week we were introduced to Leopard. And to be totally honest, some of us were overly excited while others were disappointed and left out in the cold.
    The main point of debate I've noticed on all the forums seems to be the "new" interface. Personally I like it. After toying around with Menushade for a week I can totally understand the transparent menubar. It shows off the beauty that is Aqua.
    But while surfing with a severe case of boredom i stumbled upon the vista site (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/seeit/default.mspx) and discovered something - and no it's not that Apple ripped off their site.
    Yeah Vista is "glossy" and all that jazz but it's actually more confusing than XP. When I look at a window is Vista I can't tell what's going on. There is too much gloss and shine. It makes me wanna turn away from the screen and how functional is that?
    The point is I can now see where Apple is going with the interface. As they probably predicted, MS took from Aqua, they tried to replicate the beauty and elegance that is a Mac. And of course in famous MS style they overdid it, big time. So I think apple took away from their OS.
    Leopard will most definitely be the most useful operating system in the world. Stacks and the transparent menubar both make this statement true. Add these to all the new features and I can see a little about how the future of computing is going to be. :)

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

do u know apple copied transparent menu bar from other places, if thats part of the future u are visioning, i guess many ppl are living in future already.

a UI can tell you about future computer tech? oh please. get real.

ps.welcome to mr. :D

3. TiAdiMundo macrumors member

The funny thing is: Apple introduced Aqua with OS X and realized, that too much could be too much. So they reduced all the glossyness with every version. What is great. Microsoft on the other hand has just overdone with all the reflections a little bit with Vista and now, the new Apple apps looks more like XP (with subtle grey gradients) than the "original" Aqua.

But for me the big disappointment with Leopard is, that Apple mostly took features on top (= new icons for your Dock with every version) instead of really improving things. So the Dock bar should be redone and not only have these Stacks new to it. Hell, Microsoft even improved the oldest things with Vista like the mouse pointer (! :D ) or the taskbar.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The most important features of Leopard, to me, are behind the UI. More multithreading/multicore capable functions and apps. 64bit capability (for the future). Time Machine. New iCal/Mail. Improved Spotlight.

From the UI point of view I can take or leave eye candy but Coverflow in finder could prove useful in some situations.

I will still wait for 10.5.1, however.