leopard issues you dont like...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by veeco3110, Oct 26, 2007.

1. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

ive never started one of these types of posts.

photobooth...((im a dork i know))
    the background feature which i thought was badass, seems iffy because of the glitchieness of the backgrounds. i have alot of fun with photobooth.

finder wouldnt open back up for me to add applications to my dock. had to restart to get it going again.

anyone else?

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Photobooth is horrible. It wasn't one of the main reasons I bought Leopard but I would at least like to see it work more like it was advertised! It doesn't distinguish well between you and the background and the edges are incredibly blocky.

I also would like the transparentness of the menu bar to be adjustable. Stacks aren't all they were cracked up to be. The tool in Safari that lets you add part of a webpage to Dashboard isn't as robust as I'd like. Just about every program seems to crash, Safari and Preview being the worst (so far).

If I had it to do over again I think I would've waited...

3. Whoshnot macrumors member

You probably need an even white wall behind you in order to let Photobooth work properly.
    In my case I don't have such a wall so I see a lot of artifacts every time I give it a try.

4. twoz macrumors newbie

Absolutely can't get Time Machine to work. Keep getting very generic errors and it's kind of frustrating.

5. weaverra macrumors regular

It's not iffy. It's using a chroma key effect you have to have a good solid background pref green and good lighting for it to work properly. It's just like a green screen.

6. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

wasn't the volume graphics suppose to be changed?

7. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

dragging apps to the dock is now a pia as you have to drag it under the spot you want!!!

i am just glad everything is pretty much working thus far!!!

8. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Leopard seems very good so far, I'm certainly pleased I have it! The only things that I'm not very fond of is the transparent menu bar (Absolutely HATE it), and the drop shadows are huge! Really conspicuous... I liked the more subtle drop shadowing in Tiger.

Still, if that's all I'm moaning about, that's not bad!

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Mount an external drive with multiple volumes. Eject one and when the popup comes on about ejecting a drive with multiple volumes choose eject all. Volumes are renamed to your boot drive. After that, even if you remount, they are linked to your boot rather than the external.

10. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Photobooth is total crap when there is not much light, or your background has the same color clothes you are wearing.

It works well when there is alot of light, and your clothes are not background colors.

Everything else works fantastic for me, No problems here, its really fast too, boots in about 25 seconds for me, and apps open super fast.

11. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i don't like that you can't select more than one icon from a grid stack and that you can't move a file into a folder in the same stack. if you touch anything in a stack it just opens it. and with that problem i don't like that the show infinder button is all the way at the top in the fan mode.

12. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Can you resize the icons in the stacks? If not I don't like that.

13. skyhawk2891 macrumors newbie

many "features" not being turnoffable. Critical "features" too.

Like:
    * Transparent menu bar

* Alternating color in finder

* "are you REALLY sure you want to open this item you double clicked on indicating you wanted to open it but may not be REALLY sure you wanted to open it"

Another thing, when I did "locate conf" in terminal to find my apache config file since apple thinks it funny to break my apache server EVERY OS update, it chopped off the first 2 letters of all my file paths. so I had things like sr/ and olumes/

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In Mail, I can't delete my email because it can't find the "trash" folder on the server (there isn't one).

...That's a problem.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Because I have a 12" PB Spaces is fantastic. QuickLook is also waaaaay better than I imagined (not to mention Coverflow view in Finder) because you can use QuickLook in any view in Finder AND on icons on your desktop. Absolutely brilliant and a huge time saver.

That being said, Spaces froze on me when I zoomed out after dragging Software Update to Space #1. I couldn't get back to any space and restarting the Finder didn't work. I had to power off the PB then reboot. Also, Software Updates downloading dialog seems to disappear if you change to another space and then move back. It's just a visual glitch so I can live. Everything else seems to be quite quick AFTER Spotlight finished indexing.

Also, apparently menubar translucency doesn't work on a 12" PowerBook. Not ... cool, especially since I have a dedicated graphics card and it's Core Image accelerated. It can display the 3D dock with all it's reflections and give a nice translucent blur to the menubar drop down lists but not make the menubar transparent? What gives? Am I missing something here?

16. hyddan macrumors member

I don't like how Spaces don't remember where you put your stuff and you have to manually set a certain application to open up in that space. Would it be so hard to remember where I nudge things?

Also the round "show in finder" icon on stacks has a square shadow ;)

Some stuff also seem a little more sluggish, like the genie effect, but overall its snappier.

17. bubblegum80 macrumors member

Wikipedia support in Dictionary. Thats the only problem I have.

I don't understand your problem with Photobooth (I don't have Leopard) but I sometimes I use Photobooth to take standard facial photos.

18. bubblegum80 macrumors member

That last one. It reminds me when you die in World of Warcraft, and you just want to resurrect from the spirit healer, but you get multiple "are you sure" confirmation boxes.

19. bubblegum80 macrumors member

Its pretty good with a Macbook or Macbook pro outside in the day time...

20. mediaguru macrumors regular

I got one:

How do you apply already-in-place folder defaults TO a particular folder after you change its view options? View options only seems to have the option to apply the current view as the system default, not to "restore" from the default ("all folders" option in Tiger).

Am I just completely missing something obvious?

21. Germacintosh macrumors newbie

It can remember it. Look under Systempreferences!

22. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Why does that bother you? You can uncheck it in Dictionary preferences if you don't like it. Or do you mean it annoys you because it doesn't display/load correctly?

Has anyone else tried to edit a widget by showing its package contents only to have "you can't move file x as you don't have sufficient privelages" ??? That's annoying because my calculator has gone back to the horrible grey.

I also don't like how there are no time machine settings. I don't want a backup every hour. It would be nice to have scheduled daily backups.

23. stomer macrumors 6502a

Terminal.app. You can select text and paste it with middle-click like you can do in iTerm. (Why not use iTerm then? Well, it's been very unstable recently)
    Mail.app has crashed a few times.
    SMB sharing, had some issues with mounting those shares in linux using smbmount. I had to use mount.cifs instead.

Really minor issues thought. I'm pretty happy overall.

24. barrettclark macrumors newbie

The cat prior to Leopard also asked confirmation to open an app for the first time.