Leopard keeps restarting when left idle

Discussion in 'macOS' started by usrcpp, Mar 30, 2008.

1. usrcpp macrumors newbie

I've been a Windows user all my life and only switched to a Mac last week during which time I've been playing around with OS X (10.5). One thing that I've been unable to figure out (there are lots more, but hopefully time and this community will sort that out) is the following:

I've set my Energy Saver sliders to "Never" and unchecked all the boxes for taking my hard disk and monitor to sleep, and yet still, every time I leave the computer for a few hours and come back and login, all my applications have been closed so I'm assuming that for some reason it went ahead and restarted itself.

This happens every time and unfortunately every suggestion I've gotten so far is to play around with the Energy Saver settings, which I've already done.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. And thanks for this great community.

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

What do you mean when you say that your applications have been closed? Is the computer running but the applications have shut down. Or has the monitor turned off. Or has the computer complete shut off??

3. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

You may want to set up a password for login. Then if the machine has restarted the login screen will be waiting for you.

4. usrcpp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've already done that and that's exactly what greets me when I come back to my computer.

And to answer the other question, after I login all my applications are no longer running so I have to start them again. Are there system logs that I could check to find the culprit?

5. usrcpp thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad, I had ticked "automatically log me out after xx minutes"; I'd mistakenly read that as "automatically lock after xx minutes".

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

LOL .... good thing you can't break it changing the settings. :D

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

LOL.

You need a new pair of glasses. :D

Anymore questions regarding your new mac? Give them a go while you are at it. :D

8. usrcpp thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, yeah I'll be sure to post all my questions here. :)

Thanks.

9. drake123 macrumors newbie

Well..

My macbook will prompt me with the "Are you sure you want to log out.." think. where I am supposed to check either shut of, sleep, restart or cancel if i am not using a program such as safari or such. this is annoying because if i do not choose an option it will shut the macbook off on its own.

So, when i play a game (wow, css etc.) it will prompt me for this, but since i cant see the prompt due to the window being tae up it wil shut down.

how on earth do i fix this?

e-mail with answer or post
    butteredxxxtoasted_406@yahoo.com

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

don't feel bad. most of the "issues" posted here are user induced in some way.