Leopard Kernel Panic on Installation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Arcelios, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Arcelios macrumors newbie

I have a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook with 1GB of SDRAM. I have OS X Tiger v. 10.4.6, and I just recieved Leopard v. 10.5.4, and I am attempting to install it. If it makes any difference, I have my harddrive partitioned - 40GB for OS X, and 30GB for Ubuntu Linux (8.10 Intrepid Ibex), and rEFIt to switch between the two.

I booted into Tiger and popped in the Leopard installation DVD. A window popped open with an icon to install Leopard. I double clicked on this, and it told me to restart. So, I pressed the restart button in the window, and the computer restarted, automatically booting into the OSX DVD. The Apple logo popped up, with the little spinning wheel. It churned for a few minutes, then it had a kernel panic:
    [​IMG]

So, I did as the notification told me, and restarted. It automatically booted into the DVD again, and the same thing happened. Next time, as a booted up, I held the eject key down, and I was able to get the DVD out. So, I'm back to where I started, but I don't have Leopard installed :(

There are several minor scratches on the DVD, but nothing I would expect to mess with the DVD.

Another thing: I popped in the Leopard DVD, and opened the Disk Utility after this fiasco, and verified the DVD. I got this error output:

Code:
    Verifying volume “disk1s3”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    [COLOR="Red"]Invalid node structure
    The volume Mac OS X Install DVD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

[/COLOR]
    1 HFS volume checked
    [COLOR="red"]	Volume needs repair[/COLOR]

However, the "Repair Disk" button is greyed out.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want to go through the Apple Support Hotline...

Thanks,
    Arcelios

2. harveypooka macrumors 65816

You won't be able to repair the DVD.

Maybe it is scratched badly and doesn't work?

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Have you tried rebooting into single-user mode (command-S), then run the fsck command as it will appear in the last sentence of messages just before your user prompt?

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

By default (unless the user cancels the DVD integrity check), this is checked automatically before installation begins.

5. Arcelios thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I do this while the OS X Leopard installation DVD is in?

6. josephrockz4 macrumors newbie

I had this problem as well, and it turned out I didn't have enough RAM. New cards are cheap, so it's pretty easy to get more if this is the case.

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Also consider taking the time to update fully to 10.4.11 before attempting the install of Leopard. While you can upgrade from where you are, it may introduce some instabilities into the resulting OS. Likewise, not having updated the OS prior to beginning installation could account for the reading that Disk Utility is reporting. The only time I would run Disk Utility on a Mac OS X Install disc would be if the source check during installation failed.

8. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Installing from a bad "archival" copy of the OS X install DVD could also cause problems. In that case, use the original install DVD.