Leopard killed my battery!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dal20402, Oct 31, 2007.

1. dal20402 macrumors 6502

CD MBP, 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, very early build.

Installed Leopard and am (mostly) loving it -- while connected to AC power.

When I unplugged, I suddenly noticed I had less than an hour of battery life. :eek:

A check in System Profiler showed my battery as having 2607 mAh full charge capacity -- before I installed Leopard, it had ~5100 mAh. This is a relatively new battery with 65 cycles on it.

The battery works fine -- no sudden shutdown or anything -- but this suddenly lower capacity is very strange. I tried an SMC reset with no effect. Next I'll try calibration. Has anyone experienced this? Causes?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I had that happen with my iBook G4 as well. After about a day of use, the battery capacity went back to normal. I don't know what the cause was, I was just glad it seemd to fix itself. I've had no further issues with it.

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Weird, my battery life has improved... or it seems like it has

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I agree with you...mine has improved.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

My iBook, which has had the worst battery life for a long time, actually got better with this upgrade. It charges much better now and I get much better management.

6. dal20402 thread starter macrumors 6502

This now appears to have happened to me.

I charged my battery fully and began to discharge as fast as possible (turn on airport, start sending data over the network, turn brightness up, and start 3 openssl speed processes). After 5 minutes, I was down to 72%. Then I noticed my battery indicator suddenly and randomly jumped to 89%. I checked in System Profiler and it now reports that my battery has a full charge capacity of 5266 mAh, which is slightly more than it was before the upgrade to Leopard. Now I hope it stays this way... :confused:

7. gdesalvo@umail. macrumors member

Just an idea...

Did anyone find it likely that while the new OS is indexing, which can take up to 4 hours, it would be using a lot of CPU power and thus be rather power inefficient? That's probably what happened as well as booting all the new apps. After a day of use all is likely back to normal and indexed which means you get your battery indexed. although this seems unlikely

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm, could be. I never actually thought of that.