Leopard locked in gray screen while installing. Frozen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by problemuser24, Dec 23, 2007.

1. problemuser24 macrumors newbie

I have tried to install leopard on my Macbook Pro. It just takes me to the gray boot screen with the apple logo in the center and the circle status bars. It won't leave this screen. Stayed there all last night. Every time I reboot it goes here and won't advance. I can't eject the disk either. I'm completely stuck. Please help.

2. problemuser24 thread starter macrumors newbie

eject

Got the disk out with holding the mouse button down and restart but still gray screen with apple logo.

3. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Same problem here...but with a little better luck. Loaded the Leopard DVD, click restart to start the installation process, machine restarted but got stuck on the gray screen with the apple logo and the clock whirling not stop. Left it there for like 15 minutes and then hard restart (pressing power button for 6 seconds) and pressed the button mouse to eject DVD. Fortunately my machine restarted on previous system (10.4.11) with no problems.

Maybe the restart with the Leopard install DVD takes longer than normal, but I chose to restart because the disk was not even spinning (no reading/writing from it) any more. How long should one wait, or how long is long enough?

Sorry I didn't help with your problem, but we're in the same boat and maybe somebody can rescue us with some ingenious tip(s).

4. klymr macrumors 65816

I think people were having problems with this install if they were using Shapeshifter or Application Enhancer or something similar like that. I have a copy of Leopard now, but want to backup some stuff before I install it. I'll need to rid my MBP of all those programs first.

5. itou macrumors regular

i have the exact same problem and i think its the application enhancers that i loaded into tiger. anyone know a fix?