leopard mail.app sends multiple copies?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kugino, Oct 30, 2007.

1. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i'm using mail.app in leopard with IMAP gmail. when writing a new message in leopard the activity monitor in the sidebar shows a send dialog while i'm composing...and it does this a few times during the course of writing the email. so i finally send the email off and it makes its usual sent sound.

well, when i look in the Sent folder, i see that i've sent 4 of the emails at different stages of composition...what's going on here? have any of you experienced/seen this? why is the activity monitor showing "Sending mail" during composition...and why does it send those uncompleted mails? :confused:

2. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I'm having the same issue, but when I compose a message to another of my email addys, I only actually get one copy. I've also been asking friends if they've been getting multiple emails from me and they have not.

I think this may be some odd autosave feature... perhaps it's supposed to be saving it as a draft, but there's a kink in the system, etc.

3. kugino thread starter macrumors 65816

kugino

good point...i sent a message to another email account and only received one. but in my sent mailbox there were all those incomplete versions...probably a kink in mail that will be fixed in the next update (hopefully)

4. BartVB macrumors newbie

When you use Mail.app with a 'normal' IMAP server it saves a copy of the mail that you're composing in the draft folder twice per minute. Because Gmail doesn't implement IMAP folders in the classic way some weird things happen, or so it seems :D

5. wfolta macrumors newbie

Normal under IMAP

As was mentioned, this is saving your draft as you type. If you open the activity window (Leopard still has one), and watch carefully, you'll even see q quick message about saving a draft message. Seems to be a normal thing under IMAP.

6. jasonpoon macrumors newbie

Is there any setting in Mail or Gmail to turn this "feature" off?
    It's annoying to delete all the incomplete versions after sending a mail...

7. duskdawn macrumors newbie

I am still getting the exact problems with leopard.
    It is annoying to see multiple autosaved unfinished copies of sent messages on gmail.com, it shows only one in the mail.app and the receiver only gets one though.