Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I'm trying to setup Mail so that I only receive new email when I press Get Mail, but I can't seem to get that to work. In Preferences, I have chosen to get mail manually, and "include when automatically checking for new mail" is disabled in all of my accounts.

Still, I find that new emails appear at random and when I send emails. Is there anyway to prevent this?

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Are you using POP or IMAP? Mail.app supports IMAP and the IDLE command. If your Mail.app is setup for IMAP, and the IMAP server supports IDLE, those settings will not do anything. It will check if you have it set, but because IDLE basically means "Log into the server, stay logged into the server, then wait for the server to tell you when mail arrives" that check does not really do anything.

But of course this will only be valid if your using IMAP.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I have two Google Apps accounts and one MobileMe account. In the account preferences for the two Google Apps accounts "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" is selected. Would deselecting it help?

I'm going through this fuss because I'm trying really hard to regain control over my inbox, and it has been suggested to me that I only check my email at noon and at 4pm, and save the rest of my day for actually working on my tasks.

The trouble is that I regularly need to access my email (although not check for new email) to reference information in old emails. So I would like to keep Mail open during the day so that I can access certain information stored in old emails, but only check for new email twice a day.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I have two Google Apps accounts and one MobileMe account. In the account preferences for the two Google Apps accounts "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" is selected. Would deselecting it help?

I'm going through this fuss because I'm trying really hard to regain control over my inbox, and it has been suggested to me that I only check my email at noon and at 4pm, and save the rest of my day for actually working on my tasks.

The trouble is that I regularly need to access my email (although not check for new email) to reference information in old emails. So I would like to keep Mail open during the day so that I can access certain information stored in old emails, but only check for new email twice a day.

It could, it seems your using IMAP, the idle command would be useless in POP. Uncheck it, and see what happens. The worst it would do, is the same thing its currently doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.