Leopard makes PB G4 faster or slower?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cyberone, Oct 26, 2007.

1. cyberone macrumors regular

Got a 1.67GHz G4 Powerbook.

Runs fine, but not too fast on Tiger.

Gizmodo just wrote about Leopard:

- Feels fast on a PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

Can anybody confirm?

2. Selenolycus macrumors regular

Some in #macosx on Freenode have said their PPC machines feel faster with Leopard.

Haven't got a chance to install it on the family's iBook yet, though, so I can't give a personal account of improvement.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It might feel a little faster when first installed, simply because of the optimisation routines that get run at the time. In real terms, however, performance is generally similar to Tiger.

4. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

tks - that basically looks like a green light to upgrade.

not as with a windoze OS upgrade where you mostly have to upgrade your hardware first.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah from what i've read you're good2go.

thank goodness we're not on windows

6. cyberone thread starter macrumors regular

for those with a PB G4 and hesitate: no reason to!

just did it - with archive and fresh install.

took about an hour and five minutes.

everything runs smoothly so far.

looks faster! still lots to discover.

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Just installed on PB 1.33. It seems quick enough, but spotlight is telling me 3 more hours before indexing is done, so it will not be up to full performance until then. Spotlight indexing seems to use less processing power than it did in Tiger. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of people complaining of slowness just haven't waited for the indexing process to finish.

8. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

im using a g4 400 with leopard (changed the distribuition list) with 512mb..
    is slower, much slower than 10.4. since is a single g4 chip, i can assume that all the g4 models will be slower, betting that all ppc architecture will be slower.

9. JW008 macrumors 6502

I'm using a 12" 1.5 with only 512 MB. It works fairly well. But if for no other reason to upgrade, I'd do it for the added feature of now being able to "right click" by putting two fingers on the track pad. I've been wanting that for a while.

10. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

That is in Tiger, as I'm using it on my MacBook right now :) Maybe you just missed it?

11. green86 macrumors 6502

Uh check my post in the Leopard Sluggish thread. My computer is much slower, its UI xbench scores dropped from 51 to 21 (!). Everything is choppier.

My machine is 1.5 ghz PowerBook G4 with 1.5 GB of Ram and a 100 GB 5400 RPM Toshiba with 16mb of cache with 52 GB free...

12. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

More likely, your machine needs more RAM.

Leopard is running vastly quicker than 10.4 on my 1.67 GHz Alum PB with 2GB RAM. Granted, it's a different machine, but still...

13. JW008 macrumors 6502

It's in Tiger on the MacBooks, but they JUST included it in the PowerBooks with Leopard! Odd that they would take the time to add functionality specifically to a three-year old computer, but hey, I'm not complaining!

14. Blurg Guest

Did an archive and install on my PB G4 1.25, 768 MB. It was sluggish while Spotlight was indexing, but now that it's finished Leopard is flying. It's legitimately faster. I never noticed any speed increases with any other Tiger point updates (or event Panther to Tiger), but I feel like I've upgraded my processor or something. Definitely worth installing.

15. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Did a clean install on my PB 1.67, 1.5 gigs of RAM.

Definitely faster than Tiger.

BUT, when I'm running on battery, my airport connection will constantly drop. The minute I plug back in to the AC adaptor, the connection stays constant. Anyone else having this issue?

16. Cvstos macrumors member

So my Al PB G4 would like the upgrade?

1.5Ghz G4
    1GB RAM
    ATi Radeon Mobility 9700

Would it be able to render all the crazy dock effects and such?

17. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Archive and Install did wonderfully on my 1.67 PB with 2g RAM. Ate a little more hard drive space than I wanted. It's running great. I'm using Safari for the first time as a Mac owner. It's fast and smooth. Go for it!