Leopard making my hard drive/computer work too hard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hellodon, Nov 24, 2007.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

I don't know what's going on, but it just seems like something is pushing my system to the max and it can't be good. I'm looking at activity monitor and it doesnt look like safari is using much CPU but it's using almost a gig of virtual memory

I have Entourage running and it looks like it is using 1.19GB of Virtual Memory just being open.

It sounds like something is constantly loading (you know how you can hear your hard drive spinning?)

I just dont get what is happening...it seems to run kinda slow...with just those 2 things open. I closed Entourage (which was running on Power PC) and it seems like that hard drive spinning slowed down..but even as I'm typing this it's almost like I can hear it processing me typing...Each sentence I can hear some clicking.

EDIT: Moving around to webpages seems like work and when I just clicked EDIT to edit this post it seemed like it was accessing the drive too. It's just so weird....

I never had this happen until after Leopard. Any suggestions or ideas on what's happening?

2. California macrumors 68040

California

3. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

2.0Ghz 20" intel iMac | 2.0GB Ram | 250GB HD | SuperDrive

The other one I have seems to run at par....

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I haven't experienced any slowness on much slower machines. You likely have nothing to worry about, those VM sizes are normal and hard drive access is to. You might just be on your toes after the upgrade.

If you're noticing a large slow down after the upgrade, then there may be a a real problem. I don't think that's the case.

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I am beginning to notice an increase in disk activity as well on my PowerBook (see sig). The drive just grinds and grinds soemtimes... at times it feels like Windows :mad: