Leopard Market Updates

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AmazingHenry, Nov 12, 2016.

1. AmazingHenry, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

So, hopefully this thread doesn't turn into the "your opinion on HFTaylor12" thread. ;) Anyway, here's my new Leopard Market update. This is my actual plan and it will stay this way. The current website is down. That's because I don't want people using my old Leopard Market. It's terrible, and a foxbox of the PPC Archive is much more convenient. That's what I recommend to the 1 or 2 Leopard Market users out there. However, existing copies will continue to work. Anyway, my hope is to make this much more like the original concept. I'm learning some more about Objective-C, so I can get a built-in downloader and some other things that I have wanted. I will not release the next Leopard Market until I have a built-in downloader. I will also use many betas myself and I will not release it until I feel it is as close to the original concept as I can get. My estimate is Spring 2017 but then again I could be just as wrong on that as I was for my first Leopard Market. I'm also working on a much better website, and a new server that will hopefully be easier to update. The attached file is what I've been working on in Interface Builder. I'll be adding images to the black spots, of course. And the search box will be functional. I won't be releasing without that, either. Anyway, here's my update, and this post will be updated as I develop the Leopard Market.

Here's the estimated schedule, just so you know what's going on.
    -January/February 2016 - Have working app that can download and search like the real App Store
    - March 2016 - Make the webpages that the Leopard Market will use (Featured, for example)
    -April 2016 - Decide how the webpages will be hosted and get them on a web server somewhere. I will begin testing and improving some final betas before release
    -May 2016 - Final release. Will be very similar to the original Leopard Market concept, with built-in downloading and other App Store-like features.

For Tiger users, I'll be using what I've learned from the Leopard Market and I'll make it very similar. Expect a Tiger Market to come out in early summer.

Things I'd like opinions on:
    -iLife and iWork. Should I put those on the Market? See post 3 for my opinion on that.
    -Operating systems. Perhaps a copy of Leopard (and maybe Tiger once I make a Tiger Market)?
    (will add more over time)

One more thing I'd like to mention is the Sierra theme. With permission, of course, I might have that on the Market.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Attached Files:

2. MAC POWERPC Suspended

What about iwork and ilife, will those also be on the Market?

3. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Good question, I was thinking about that. Probably not, considering that it's illegal. There is a 99% chance you will not see iLife or iWork on the Market. But, on the other hand, Apple's never going to see (or care about) something like this, and there's not a huge risk in putting those apps up. If Apple cared, the Macintosh Garden would be long gone by now. There's plenty of things we do here that are against Apple's policies, as well. I need other opinions.

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Your biggest issue will stem from learning old-school Objective-C before ARC became the norm. You'll either find one of the two extremes: really new ObjC examples and guides with ARC and modern libraries, or much older with either outdated libraries or methods leaving you to glue together the pieces without any instructions or methodology. I'd reccomend developing on Snow Leopard, and target Leopard. I'm pretty sure you can use SL era code (maybe even Lion) as long as Leopard is set somewhere in Xcode.

I'd seriously look at .plists for generating store pages, something like this: https://gist.github.com/128keaton/632b53cf34e2c7e850788cc8a4a74c54

Git/SVN will be your friend, especially since this should be open source. GitHub is free.

Minimize the use of resources, recycle views, create extendable classes.

Keep us posted.

5. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

OK, I'll set up my Intel iMac and start developing on that. Thanks for your information and help. Just to make sure, you're saying that modern Objective-C examples would work on Snow Leopard, right? I could also run Lion but I don't think that supported 10.5.

6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I'm pretty sure, libraries changed alot in Lion. I'd look at getting the most modern Xcode on Snow Leopard. I'm 100% Swift now, so I can't remember most objective C stuff. Thanks for the apology to the forums, its a bit different than on LEGO Forums, huh.

7. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Thanks for your help on this. It will now be much easier!

8. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

These things always happen with my Intel Mac and it's one of the many reasons I still use a PPC. Problems. I can't get the developer tools to install correctly, it pretty strange. Once Installer failed to do it, I forced installed the tools using Pacifist. Well, now Interface Builder refuses to open! :mad: I'll just have to keep trying, I guess. Or maybe just go with the older Objective-C documentation. I already have the app started on my G5, anyway, so maybe I'll just try my best to develop in Xcode 3.1. But I certainly will try a few more times to get this on Snow Leopard.