Leopard Memory Leak/Choppiness Issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattwe, Nov 28, 2007.

1. mattwe macrumors member

Okay, I just got my first mac - 15" Macbook Pro, 2.6 Ghz, 250 Gig, 2 Gig RAM (for now). It is great, I love the attention to detail that went into it.

OS X (Leopard), however, I have a gripe with (and it is happening about 50% of the time) - when I come out of sleep, it is really choppy. To the point that it is annoying to mouse around. I end up restarting the computer. Last time it happened, it was really choppy and then the shut down process took about 1-2 minutes (not that long, but NOTICEABLY longer than it should).

The only thing I could figure is that putting it to sleep is triggering some kind of memory leak/memory dump or something of the sort. The other 50% of the time, the computer immediately wakes up from sleep just like it was before. When this happens, it takes it a little while to wake and is really sluggish once it finally wakes up.

Leopard issue, computer issue, or what do you guys think?

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Are you putting the machine to sleep or are you letting it sleep after a timeout based on the power saving settings? I found that something has changed recently (last six months or so, pre-Leopard for sure) that causes the iPhoto slideshow screen saver to swap all my apps and data off to disk. Trying to wake my MBP from sleep if it ran the screen saver for a while is a lot like what you're describing.

Just a thought... I disabled the screen saver and it's great now. :)

3. mattwe thread starter macrumors member

No, I am putting it to sleep by pressing the Power Button => clicking Sleep.