Leopard "Migration Assistant" - it's not migrated, so it's useless!.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glossywhite, Feb 29, 2008.

1. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

I just used the Leopard Migration Assistant to copy across my Macbook to my eMac. What does it copy?. All I can find is that it's copied my apps across. It has missed out my /Developer folder, the Desktop is different, Adium and Mac Mail haven't got my accounts preset... windowstates are defaults, not the ones I have set... the Dock is default, NOT 2D like I have preset!

In a nutshell, it would appear that the "Migration Assistant" has completely wasted my time - I wanted EVERYTHING how it is on my Macbook - so why has this NOT happened?. My XCODE 3.0 is missing... I could probably go on forever in regards to what it HASN'T done - am I missing something (common sense?... it wasn't THAT difficult to follow the wizard!). Everything that I wanted to save time having to re-input, such as accounts etc and MSN names, it has NOT DONE. Tell me - exactly WHAT USE is this?.

I am severly disappointed - can you help me out?. :(

Migrate SCHMIGRATE - it's migrated almost ZILCH!!!!!!

PS: Did I mention missing:

** Safari History

** Cookies

** Favourites....

etc.... ad infinitum....

Can I *CLONE* my Macbook to the eMac, using DU/SuperDuper etc etc?. This is time wasting at it's very worst!!!

2. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

you can't clone since one was ppc and one is intel.

that's odd that you can't do migration assistant, i used it and everything went smoothly. i had everything backed up on a firewire drive, and it asked what account i should transfer from.

odd that it won't work

3. glossywhite thread starter macrumors 65816

glossywhite

What did I do wrong? :(