Leopard: Missing BSD Subsystem, can it be downloaded??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MatuX, Feb 16, 2009.

1. MatuX macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I bought an iMac, it had Mac OS X already installed, but I don't really know if BSD Subsystem was installed. I don't have the Windows Sharing option, my BSD.pkg file in Macintosh HD -> Library -> Receipts says its "Zero KB", but the "apropos" file is there.
    So, I don't really know.

I inserted the Mac OS X installation CD, went to the "Optional Installs" folder and the BSD Subsystem isn't there, neither is in CD 2.

I tried executing the Mac OS X installation and I can't install it from there without first "erase and install" or something.

Is there any workaround? I find it pretty weird that BSD wasn't installed and more over, that it is not even in my Mac OS X CD.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

That's correct. What exactly isn't working?

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If OS X is installed and working fine, don't worry about BSD.

If you are that worried about it, you'd have to do an Erase and Install. If you decide to do this, I think you'll find the same thing after it is complete.

4. MatuX thread starter macrumors newbie

My problem is that I'm not being able to make my Mac visible to my Windows Notebook.

My network layout is: Internet Cable directly to my iMac through Ethernet, my iMac shares to two Windows computers through an ad-hoc WiFi.

I don't have a "Windows Sharing" option in my Sharing panel, and I'm a bit lost since all the information I found said in one way or another that if I don't have "Windows Sharing" it is because I don't have the BSD Subsystem.

But I believe that I wouldn't be able to share internet from my iMac if I wouldn't have that BSD Subsystem package?

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Are you using a router?

What kind of sharing are you talking about ?

There is no "Windows sharing" in the preference pane. Select file sharing then you will see a Windows option.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This is correct.

You want Internet Sharing, it seems.

7. ihabime macrumors 6502

Windows sharing is called SMB, click the options button on the file sharing part of the sharing preference pane.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No one does, because it's not there. Whatever you read was referring to 10.4, try File Sharing if you're on 10.5