Leopard Multiple Mac install confirmed yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hellodon, Oct 26, 2007.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

Has it been confirmed (or denied) that you can install your copy of Leopard on multiple macs? I've heard mixed answers. I just want to be able to throw this on my powerbook and my iMac and not have to spend extra money to do so. If i'm breaking licensing agreements by doing so then I guess I'm just in the wrong, but does anyone have a definite answer?

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You cannot install Leopard legally on multiple machines unless you buy the family pack.

4. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Hate to say it but you can never get a write answer from anyone. You go to the Apple store and they will tell you "No, that doesn't work and isn't allowed." You come here, some tell you different and some tell you the same. Seems guy is just looking for a right answer.

Yes, you can install Leopard on multiple machines.

5. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! That's all I needed. I know I could always do it with the other OS's, just wondered if they did anything different to prevent it this time around.

I know they have the family deal or whatever...I'm not trying to steal the software completely by downloading it illegally or anything, I'm buying it..but I have a couple computers and they are both mine and I'd like them both to run it and not have to spend more money. Apple doesnt seem to have a "You Pack" for installing it on multiple Apple computers bought for yourself..it's not like this is for my family, it's for me, twice :)

6. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I agree. I feel the same way, I'm going to go pick a Core2Duo iMac 24" for $2,000. They are dropping in the Leopard install disk (or upgrade disk, I don't know yet) and I don't want to have to spend another $199 to install on my MacBook Pro and my dad's MacBook.

I mean, I've already spent $6,500 on just those three pieces of hardware. Why poke me in the eyes for another $129. Don't kill me shareholders, can you truly blame me? Wait, don't answer that, don't want to start a flame war.

7. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

It was an Apple employee that hinted to me that fundamentally there's no difference between the family pack and the individual copy in terms of the contents of the install. One pays for a 5-pack license, the other doesn't but he essentially hinted, without saying it directly (understandably Apple's official position is that you should pay per the EULA), that Apple doesn't particularly keep tabs.

It costs more money than it saves for Apple to go after every enduser who installs a single user copy on 2-3 machines in their home.

It sounds like Leopard is no different from the other OS X installers... Apple won't know if you're installing a single user pack on more than one computer on your network. But if you're really paranoid... you *could* also block outbound traffic on Port 192 from leaving your network. :D

8. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Yeah, see what you are saying. That's true with some Apple store employees, they're upfront sometimes, plus they have to say the right thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to burn the company I truly like. I'm a loyalist to Apple products, I've convinced my family to buy many Apple products, I just don't want to pay money when it may not be necessary...

Now, that I'm saving $129 for Leopard, I may pick up .Mac for $69 with the iMac this evening.