Leopard needs a serious update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sptz, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Sptz macrumors regular

Seriously... this is completely unacceptable, I did a clean install on my SR 2.4 MBP 15", and the minimizing animations, stacks etc, are all jaggy, and you can tell it's graphically jaggy, so this is either bad coding or something or graphics card bad driver. On my gf's 13" mb it is completelly jaggy as well.

This is really horrible and unacceptable for the "most advanced operating system we have made yet..."

p.s.- also Guitar pro 5 doesnt work, toast 8 works really jaggy as well...

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I noticed I got laggy after I woke my MBP up this morning. I rebooted and all was good. Not sure what happens to make it laggy but it isn't there all the time.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Do you have the DivX plugin installed? People over at Apple Discussions have pinpointed that as causing all sorts of issues.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I don't know - I'm fairly pleased with Leopard, it's as fast as Tiger was (or faster?) and I really like the new Spaces feature.

I just hope Apple gives us back functional folder browsing from the dock and fixes the PSD bug that crashes Finder when using QuickView and/or CoverFlow ... Oh yeah and gives us the option to dump that heinous translucent menu bar :mad:

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I really miss that functionality as well.

What problems are you having with PSD files and Coverview/Quick Look? Mine are opening just fine and not crashing the dock.

-Kevin

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Flip4Mac maybe? I do have that installed. Might try uninstalling that and see if that helps.

7. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

It's not just spotlight creating its database? For how long have you had it installed?

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I must say, I doubt it'll be a long time before we see 10.5.1.

I've not had a lot of huge problems, but there are a lot of small annoying bugs.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Thank you!!!

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Seconded.

This could be the "issue" you are having.

11. ragecage macrumors newbie

ragecage

yeah, as I kept plugging in external HDs, it was a little choppy as spotllight indexed them all. Much better when it was all done.

12. Sptz thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't have divX installed, and I also have leopard installed since yesterday, spotlight isn't indexing anything...

13. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Spotlight has been done. Going to uninstall Flip4Mac and see if it comes back.

14. oceanmonster macrumors regular

How do you know when spotlight is done indexing. I have not installed it yet but would like to know when i get my copy tuesday.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

When you click on spotlight it'll say that it is indexing. Ar if you look at the little icon you should see a little pulsating dot in the middle when it is indexing.

16. Queso macrumors G4

On Tiger you get the Spotlight status by clicking on the Spotlight icon in the top left hand corner. If it gives you a search box to type in, it's finished. I suspect it's the same in Leopard (sorry, still waiting for my copy to arrive).

17. theman macrumors 6502a

hey, you guys were the ones pushing apple to release it right away, what do you expect? if it weren't for forums like this, and people like you :) apple would probably have waited until the end of the year to release it. hey, i am not installing it until december. i don't want to lose any of my productivity with bugs and problems. tiger is fine. sure, leopard has some good stuff in it, but it's really not necessary. it's not like im sitting here wishing i could be using stacks right now, or, oh man, maybe i want a transparent menubar... not necessary. as soon as its nice and smooth and bug free, probably 10.5.2 at least, i will install...

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

when time machine is idle and spotlight is not indexing my spaces and grid stacks are still a little choppy (hardly noticeable though). hopefully apple puts out a software update in the next week.

19. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

If this foolish statement was true we would have new mac pros and macbook pros right now.

20. ktrix macrumors newbie

This has also been my experience. Seems like a pretty widespread problem. I'd go back to Tiger but my install DVD is stuck in a friend's computer. :(

21. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I have none of the "graphically jaggy" issues.

Clean install on a 2.16 iMac and an upgrade on a G4 Powerbook (12 inch)
    Both run smooth as butter!!

22. ktrix macrumors newbie

I've been reading all the posts I can find about the graphics performance issue, and it seems only to affect MacBooks and Mac minis. It's not a horrible problem, just an obvious and annoying one.

23. cuanurse macrumors regular

Have you rebooted? Mine was superslow for a few hours (even AFTER spotlight was done indexing) then after a reboot and time it is amazing snappy.

24. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

I don't notice any of these problems on my macbook.

25. beckfizzle macrumors member