Leopard not seeing hard disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swac, Oct 29, 2007.

1. swac macrumors newbie

I restarted with the disc in, started up in the installer. Clicked continue a few times. It asks where I want to install Leopard to. Except there are no options. Just a big blank box where the hard disk should be. Then I restart and try to boot from my hard disk, I get the ? folder. I turned the computer off and back on, this time holding down the option key. I'm prompted with the volumes from which I can boot. My hard disk is listed there. So I can still boot into Tiger that way. But the Leopard installer still doesn't want to see my hard disk. Any suggestions?

2. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I had this happen on both of my Intel macs. I ended up just letting it sit for awhile and they eventually showed up. In looking around, I believe I saw an error in the console stating that the device was in use. It'll eventually show up; mine took about 10-15 minutes.

3. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

Try this in the terminal.

Code:
    diskutil list disk0
    If your disk is not the first one, then replace disk0 with whatever number the disk is minus 1.

What you should see is a list of the partitions on the disk. Look for the one that says "Apple_HFS". Take note of the entry on the right, in the "identifier" column.

Now, type
    Code:
     diskutil mount (whatever the identifier was from the list)
    It will take about a minute or two, but it should mount, and you'll be all set.

An even easier way to do this is to just type:
    Code:
    diskutil mountDisk
    It should mount the first disk in your system, along with ALL partitions on it. If you only have one partition on that drive, it should make things much easier, but if you have more than one partition because of Bootcamp or something, the "diskutil mount" command is quicker.