Leopard on < 1Ghz PPC

dereki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leopard is up and running on our cube (450 Mhz G4, 512MB) and doesn't seem any slower than Tiger did. I guess some people were hesitant about upgrading on G4 hardware...

Attachments

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Did you have to do anything to get it installed? Or, did you just insert it, and boot and install?

I figured Apple would have a check in the installer to verify that you are installing it on the machines it says are fine (like iLife '06 and '08 did).

Comment

dereki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Did you have to do anything to get it installed? Or, did you just insert it, and boot and install?

I figured Apple would have a check in the installer to verify that you are installing it on the machines it says are fine (like iLife '06 and '08 did).
I started the cube up in firewire mode and installed from a dual G4 PowerMac

Comment

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
That's quite impressive. I'm still bummed out though, that my first gen iMac G5 can't have a transparent menubar. Apparently Leopard on older hardware has it disabled. :(

Comment

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Count yourself lucky. You have to be very choosy about your background with a transparent menu bar. I'd rather have the GPU cycles back.
Oh, I'm quite choosy when it comes to backgrounds, being an artist. I was really looking forward to the new menu bar. I would gladly trade up. To each his own, I guess.

Comment

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Can you set that via Terminal?

I'm not fond of the idea of a transparent menu bar.
Not that I know of. There may be a defaults setting.

Oh, I'm quite choosy when it comes to backgrounds, being an artist. I was really looking forward to the new menu bar. I would gladly trade up. To each his own, I guess.
When I say choosy, I mean you have to choose the picture to suit your menu bar which invariable means compromises. If there was a way to change it, I would do it in a flash.

Comment

SeVeN

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
San Jose
Leopard is up and running on our cube (450 Mhz G4, 512MB) and doesn't seem any slower than Tiger did. I guess some people were hesitant about upgrading on G4 hardware...

wow, whats done to the Cube? i wanna do that to mine as well. 512Ram 120GB

Comment

dereki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2007
huh? sorry what i ment was, what is done to the Cube, maxed out ram? different graphics card?
You got me beat. My cube is the 450 DVD (no CDR) with 20G HDD. I only upped the RAM to 512MB.

Comment

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Hey Guys,

Id love to do this on my imac 800mhz 17" G4.

Whats the process involved?

I have a macbook running leopard right now, if i firewire connect the two do i then boot the imac into firewire target mode then select my macbook from the list?

A quick little step by step would really help me out if anyone has done this before?

Cheers guys

Ed

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hey Guys,

Id love to do this on my imac 800mhz 17" G4.

Whats the process involved?

I have a macbook running leopard right now, if i firewire connect the two do i then boot the imac into firewire target mode then select my macbook from the list?

A quick little step by step would really help me out if anyone has done this before?

Cheers guys

Ed
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4401510/

Comment

dereki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Thanks but i was hoping for a little more than that....
Start the mac you want to install to by holding down the 't' key until you see the Firewire logo on the screen. Connect it to another mac (that meets the minimum specs for Leopard) via firewire. Proceed with the installation targeting the mac in firewire mode to install to. Partition maps are important (PPC and Intel use different ones - whole other topic) but if you use a PPC to install, you will be fine.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.