Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hi all! I am interested in purchasing Leopard for my main computer, an iBook G4. It has a 1.33 GHz processor. The memory is 512 MB. I was wondering if it will slow down my machine? Is it even worth to upgrade to it? I have heard that it actually speeds UP your computer. I have a little less than half of the hard drive space left. Thanks everyone. Happy new years also!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It'll run fine. We've got it on some 1.2GHz machines with otherwise similar specifications at work and it's great. If you can afford to, get some more RAM for that thing.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
That iBook is the computer am using right now, with Leopard, with 1.5 gigs of RAM. Get more RAM and then get Leopard. Nothing to worry about.

sas76

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Australia
Hi all! I am interested in purchasing Leopard for my main computer, an iBook G4. It has a 1.33 GHz processor. The memory is 512 MB. I was wondering if it will slow down my machine? Is it even worth to upgrade to it? I have heard that it actually speeds UP your computer. I have a little less than half of the hard drive space left. Thanks everyone. Happy new years also!

I am running a slightly lower spec G4 ibook with 750mb ram and it runs fine. Although my wife only uses it for web browsing and email. No iphoto or itunes etc.

ss

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
ok, i might do that. I got some christmas money. I won't be getting a new computer for another 2 years. How exactly do you install ram. I am a noob, i know, sorry. Do you think apple will unveil a new affordable mac that will cost around $500 at macworld? thanks for the quick replies you guys!

then when you upgrade does all of your music "transfer" over?

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
i got the same machine with leopard (but with 1.5GB of RAM) and it runs great, not like my imac great, but for a PowerPC machine its worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.