Leopard on a Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gan6660, Dec 15, 2008.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Ok, I have a Powerbook G4 with
    1.25 ghz g4 proccessor
    1.5gb ram
    80gb hd
    superdrive
    airport extreme
    Will it be able to work well with leopard?
    Also I am getting an iMac for Christmas will I be able to use those disk to install leopard on the powerbook?

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i had a 1.5ghz powerbook with leopard on it.... It runs well, but Tiger is faster espically when playing back high rez video

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Your powerbook will run Leopard.

Your iMac disc's will not work on it. You will need a retail copy.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

nope

5. Kaupa macrumors regular

Well there is a hack to disable the machine check, but its not allowed to run one copy on to machines...

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

You can't anyways because the iMac is probably Intel(OP didn't state?) and you can't install Intel OS on a PPC machine.

So yeah, Just go out and pick up a Retail DVD of Leopard for $75? on ebay. It will run it well. You should also upgrade to 2gb(max) to get the best performance too.

7. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

LOL! Like you can't buy one copy of Mac OS and install it on 10,000 macs? You can.

But as pointed out, it's probably an Intel iMac, making it a no-go.

Actually it's definitely an intel iMac, otherwise it wouldn't be coming with Leopard.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, it'll run it. I just gave my folks my old G4 Powerbook with Leopard on it. No complaints here, cept it did take a while to boot and shutdown. Personally I'd stick with Tiger for such a machine.

If Snow Leopard still runs on PPC macs then I'd wait for that, what with it being more effecient and jazz.

9. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Apple is dumping support for PPC with Snow Leopard. It is a shame. Leopard is your best bet, but tiger was MADE to run on PPC, leopard CAN, but will be a bit slower. Haha, I have both, one on each partition. Keep the old tiger discs around just in case you get sick of the slow boot times and lagg when running things like photoshop (use CS2)