Leopard on a Yikes!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Apr 2, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Someone asked about this a week or two back, and I speculated that it probably wouldn't work with the common tricks like Leopard Assist or swapping hard drives. I was basing this on my experience with attempting to install Leopard on a G4-upgraded B&W(which essentially is a Yikes! with an ADB port).

In any case, I just tried swapping hard drives, and can confirm that a plug-and-play install does not work.

I'm sure it can be made to work with similar techniques used on other PCI based Macs, which involve installing additional kexts from a couple of pre-releases of Leopard, but it's not as simple as installing on an AGP-based G4 Mac.

So, for those interest, there's my report.

I may tinker with it, but don't have the time or inclination right now(perhaps after my thesis defense on the 17th...)

Here's the KP screen on booting, which is the same as I saw on my B&W

Attached Files:

2. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

using the kexts and the PDF I linked in another post it is possible to boot leopard on a Yikes/G3 B&W (I did try boot leopard in an emulated Grakle PCI mac and I got the same Kernel Panic you did about a missing platform driver once i installed the kexts i got past that point but then it couldn't find Root Device and stalled I suspect this is a fault of QEMU as the sawtooth emulation has the same issue)

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I downloaded those and installed, but something still seems to be missing as I still could not get my B&W to boot. Intell looked at the list and seemed to recall there being some missing ones.

I'm still trying to locate the DPs so I can just extract the necessary kexts myself.

Like I said, any further experiments(or at least time consuming ones) are probably going to have to wait 2-3 weeks.

4. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

for me to get the kexts to load I had to install xpostfacto on my leopard disk... otherwise i still got the Unable to find platform driver for Powermac1,1 kernel panic (what I did was install the needed kexts for leopard then I install xpostfacto on the disk let it do its thing and then booted on the grakle PCI mac)

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Interesting, and worth a try. Like I said, after my defense...

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not pushing anyone to proceed, but I found this…

http://www.mactech.com/2008/09/23/leopard-pre-agp

At one time the poster had links to the kexts, but the link does not work now and the Internet WayBack machine only captures this page eight times starting in 2013.

However, it explains the poster's trial and error process and WHICH kexts are involved (apparently the retail version of Leopard is missing a few, which your probably already knew).

One of the ones that caught my eye was an ADB kext for Leopard that is mentioned.

7. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'd always assumed that ADB kexts were present in Leopard. There are no computers with explicit ADB ports that officially support Leopard, but a fair number of Laptops that use the ADB protocol internally and officially support Leopard.

Titanium Powerbooks come to mind(the 867/1ghz models don't need any special tricks to get Leopard to install), and I think(but am not positive) some of the earlier generation AlBooks also have ADB trackpads.

8. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

Just wondering if you had any luck with this? heh (regarding what i said above make sure to install the kexts first Then install xpostfacto second)

9. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Sorry, I haven't.

Most of my computers(including this one) are in Louisville, and I've hardly been there since I finished my thesis at the beginning of the month. Once I start teaching in a week or so, I'll get back into working on some of these projects.