Leopard on Ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TomT321, Sep 17, 2009.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

I am thinking of upgrading to Leopard from Tiger but am new to Macs. I see that on Ebay one can buy a Leopard disc for about half of what a new one costs, but not knowing for sure what I am actually buying what do I need to know to make sure that I am not being penny wise and pound foolish? BTW my computer is a first generation G5 1.8 GHZ model.:confused:

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

You can buy the Snow Leopard disc for $29 US and use that to go straight to Snow Leopard. Technically your not meant to but, who can stop you?

3. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Snow Leopard is Intel Only

A G5 can't go to SL so the poster is correct to go to Leopard. Just make sure you buy a genuine disk. Doesn't matter if it's been used as there are no keys, etc., like a Windows install. I'd probably rather get a full "retail" disk than one that was included with a mac as an upgrade just in case it's not compatible with his machine.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the fact that SL wont run on a G5 would stop him :p

To the OP....the "full retail" version is what you need to insure that it'll run on your computer

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Check your local college campus store. We still have plenty of copies of Leopard here, and I know people will start buying them now that SL is out and doesn't run on the PPC machines. Also, it's $69.