Leopard on G4 Pismo - can't get Rage128 kext working tried everything!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Project Alice, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

As the title says; I've got leopard installed on my G4 Pismo and I CANNOT get the rage128 to work. I've everything from this thread. I tried using the 9A343 kexts, as well as the Jaguar ones. I've used the universal kext utility from here. I also used terminal manually. No kext will load and the UI still runs like crap. Its a clean install of 10.5.8.
    What do I?

2. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

I have a feeling that if you did it as an upgrade from Tiger the ATI kexts would be carried over. If there's any way you could back track and put 10.4 on from a backup you may have more success.

I can't remember how I did it as it's a long time ago, but I don't recall any particular problems in installing and running the Tiger kexts on my Leopard Pismo.

Did you do the G4 upgrade yourself, as my 'new' Pismo is begging for me to try it? I'll probably leave it as Tiger though, as even with the ATI drivers it ran like a dog on Leo.

Cheers :)

Hugh

3. Project Alice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

I could just format over with Tiger and then upgrade.
    I was trying to use the Jaguar kexts or the earlier Leopard 9A343 kexts, I thought those were reported to have better performance.

Dosdude1 did the upgrade for me.

4. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Yes, it was the Jaguar ones we found to be best.
    I must have done mine as a clean install, since in that thread I 1reported there were no ATI extensions present until I installed the Tiger ones.
    Silly question, but you did reboot after installing them?

Funnily enough I've just tried the Jaguar kexts on my Pismo's Tiger install, and there really wasn't much difference. It's only when you go to a G4 and Leopard that they help.

Wish @dosdude1 was closer than over the pond or I might be tempted to ask for his services - I'm not looking forward to tackling the upgrade with just my heatgun ;)

Hugh

5. B S Magnet macrumors 6502

B S Magnet

Also a small detail I overlooked when I switched to the Jaguar kexts: did you chown/chmod the kexts appropriately?

6. Project Alice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

I'm pretty sure I did. Using what the other thread said. And the script that @ifrit05 made. Its possible I could've made a mistake though.
    Yes I rebooted.

I just sent him my CPU card, shipping was around $7USD. I live on the otherside of thr country.

7. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Yes, that's all I would do, plus the Quicksilver G4 733 CPU card I've just bought.
    I expect he's pretty busy anyway.

Those installer scripts are confusing to start with - it took me a while to work out how to use them.

Hugh

8. B S Magnet macrumors 6502

B S Magnet

This is what I have:

Attached Files:

9. LightBulbFun macrumors 68000

LightBulbFun

what happens when you manually load the kexts with kextload?

keep in mind even with the Rage 128 kexts loaded, the UI will still run like crap theres no getting around that, it just might run slightly less crap, but still like crap LOL

if your using the 9A343 kexts you should have OpenGL working, so try opening OpenMark or such, if it opens and does not display and error then the 9A343 kexts are working :)