Leopard on G4

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Birmingham, England
Planning installing it on my 1.42ghz mini tomorrow night. CPU wise it should be OK, but think I may need to up the memory as it's only got 512MB.

Will let you know what it is like.

Comment

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
Yeah im waiting to find out, as I have a PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz, 256MB RAM.

Im a student developer so I have to wait for them to send me a copy of leopard, which won't be for a few weeks, so im sure a lot of people would have done it before me.

Comment

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
Desperately need this info too. I have a 1 GHz iBook with 1.12 GB RAM. It should do, but I am afraid it is going to eat up RAM and processor power. Plus I do some video editing now and then. Still, can't... resist... temptation... must... upgrade... want to see Leopard... on my iBook.

Also, I still use some old apps, like the now dead (and swallowed up by Microblob) Creature House Expression and Canvas 8. They work fine under Tiger, mostly. But I'm afraid Leopard is going to break them. I can't live without these apps, for now. I will probably start a new thread on this, about Leopard and old apps.

Comment

stekerrod

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Macclesfield/Salford England
im going to be installing it on my iBook which is a 1.42GHz G4 and ive upgraded it to 1.5GB of ram so im hoping it will run quite nicely on it......it's also going to be installed on a G4 iMac which has a 1GHz G4 and 512MB of ram.....it's only used for internet surfing and word in it's semi retirement so it should be fine!

Comment

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
im going to be installing it on my iBook which is a 1.42GHz G4 and ive upgraded it to 1.5GB of ram so im hoping it will run quite nicely on it......it's also going to be installed on a G4 iMac which has a 1GHz G4 and 512MB of ram.....it's only used for internet surfing and word in it's semi retirement so it should be fine!
Ive always wanted a iMac G4 :)

Comment

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Desperately need this info too. I have a 1 GHz iBook with 1.12 GB RAM. It should do, but I am afraid it is going to eat up RAM and processor power. Plus I do some video editing now and then. Still, can't... resist... temptation... must... upgrade... want to see Leopard... on my iBook.

Also, I still use some old apps, like the now dead (and swallowed up by Microblob) Creature House Expression and Canvas 8. They work fine under Tiger, mostly. But I'm afraid Leopard is going to break them. I can't live without these apps, for now. I will probably start a new thread on this, about Leopard and old apps.

How old are they? If they are classic apps leopard wont support them.

Comment

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
How old are they? If they are classic apps leopard wont support them.
No, they are native apps. They have had a great run through several versions of Mac OS X. I'm just afraid Leopard will be the system that breaks them. I've been fortunate. It's not that Tiger isn't fine, and if I need these apps, why take a risk? It's just that I like the idea of having a more unified interface, Spaces, Time Machine, the new iCal and Mail. It's just all so yummy.

Comment

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
No, they are native apps. They have had a great run through several versions of Mac OS X. I'm just afraid Leopard will be the system that breaks them. I've been fortunate. It's not that Tiger isn't fine, and if I need these apps, why take a risk? It's just that I like the idea of having a more unified interface, Spaces, Time Machine, the new iCal and Mail. It's just all so yummy.

forseeing the same problem, months ago I partitioned all my drives and reinstalled tiger on one. The other is waiting for Leopard. that way, at least if the apps don't work on the Leopard partition, you can boot into tiger to get work done.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.