Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonrhcp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Hi. The school that I go to has asked me if it is possible for Mac G5's to run Mac OS X Leopard. I have tried to upgrade with my installation dvd (version 10.5.7). It says that this cannot be installed on this computer. However I keep reading that it is possible to put leopard on the G5.
I am confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
J

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yes, it is possible, but you need a retail version - one for each machine.

Your disc will not work because it will only work with the model of machine it shipped with.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi. The school that I go to has asked me if it is possible for Mac G5's to run Mac OS X Leopard. I have tried to upgrade with my installation dvd (version 10.5.7). It says that this cannot be installed on this computer. However I keep reading that it is possible to put leopard on the G5.
I am confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
J

If you are trying to install Leopard on a G5 with an installation disc from another, newer Mac, you are out of luck.

Leopard runs fantastic on G5s. Go for it. Get a regular install disc. I'd sell you mine, but I want to keep it.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Well considering that I am running Leopard on my Quicksilver G4, I would imagine it would run really well on a G5 :)

But as everyone has already said, you need to have RETAIL install disks for this to work, NOT the ones that came with any other mac.......

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Well considering that I am running Leopard on my Quicksilver G4, I would imagine it would run really well on a G5 :)

But as everyone has already said, you need to have RETAIL install disks for this to work, NOT the ones that came with any other mac.......

I run Leopard on G4 also. Runs great with 2GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.