Leopard on G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davince, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Davince macrumors newbie

I've got a bit confused somewhere - Just reading up and it seems plenty of people run Leopard on their PowerPC G5's, but on the app store it says only suitable for intel based machines? I thought no G5's were intel - am I missing something? Mine is an '04 model 7,2

2. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

Installing Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) is entirely possible on a Power Mac G5, including your model. I believe that you are mistaking Snow Leopard (10.6) with Leopard, as Snow Leopard is not compatible with PowerPC (Intel only).

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

OS X Leopard isn't available through the App Store. The only revision of OS X you can currently download through the App Store is Yosemite, so I don't know where you're getting your information from.

Leopard will run on your G5 without an issue. Snow Leopard however, won't.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

I can download Lion 10.7 to Yosemite 10.10 via the App Store.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You aren't looking at Leopard if you're on the app store, the app store didn't come around until Snow Leopard which was the release after Leopard and the first Intel only OS X. 10.7 was the first OS X release on the app store. So I don't know what you are looking at on there, but Leopard works fine on PPC computers.

----------

I believe that only works if you previously purchased Lion when it was available. If you just now got a used mac that had 10.6 on it and you wanted to upgrade to 10.7 without having bought it when it was the current OS you're out of luck.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You can re-download it only if you got it while it was still current, otherwise there is no way to get it from the App Store.

I have however heard reports of UK users still being able to purchase Mountain Lion from there.

7. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

As others have said, only as a re-download.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Supposedly, if you call Apple(and pay for it) they will give you a code to "unlock" Lion through the App store-there are Macs out there that can't(officially) install anything newer than Lion.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It is still possible to purchase both Lion and Mountain Lion from Apple's website, which will yield the code to unlock it in the App Store.

10. Davince thread starter macrumors newbie

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, as mentioned, only Intel Macs have access to the app store.

On the other hand, Apple can't stop you from installing stuff outside the app store. :D

12. bunnspecial, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

With Yosemite(at least with the default security settings), Apple seems to be trying to make OS X almost a walled garden like iOS. Any time I want to install something not downloaded from the App store, I have to go into system preferences and specifically allow that program to install.

It's a pain, and is one of about 100 reasons why I'm not running Yosemite on a computer I actually depend on...

I work with a bunch of recent Mac converts, most of whom have zero experience with anything pre-10.7. Lion introduced two big changes in the default UI-the Launchpad, and it defaulted the finder to not showing mounted volumes on the desktop. The launchpad, of course, is easily ignored if one so desires and showing mounted volumes on the desktop just takes a couple of clicks to enable(fortunately, even Yosemite still allows this).

10.5 is a totally different experience for most of these folks, however, as it seems strange to them to go to the applications folder to launch an application rather than the Launchpad. It drives them crazy when they try to use my G5 for that reason(but also keeps them away, which is a good thing). At the same time, however, the lack of volumes on the desktop drives me crazy when I'm troubleshooting, as all of my computers(including my MBP running 10.9 and Macbook running 10.10) show them.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not experiencing that - and the MP I am typing this on is running 10.10.2. However, I switched off Gatekeeper a very long time ago so that may be why.

14. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

i really notice the lack of Launchpad in Leopard. My first Mac ran 10.8 so I've been using it from the start.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not really a big fan of Launchpad (I have disabled it).

It's too much like Launcher (a Control Panel) in OS9 and I hated that as well.

The more Apple changes things the more ideas they recycle.

Anyway, if you really want a launcher in Leopard have a look at Launcher X.

16. val1984 macrumors member

You don't really need to switch it off as you can open the few unsigned apps by choosing "Open" in the contextual menu, which ask you if you're sure you want to open the unsigned app. (see the relevant section on Apple support site).

17. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

When I was in elementery school they had PowerMac G3 All-In-Ones (I actually loved the look of them and have been trying to find one) They used the Launcher in Classic OS for when we did things (they really didn't allow us in the internet) but the Internet Browser was in the Launcher. (No idea what OS was used whatever the default was on those i suppose). I didn't really mind it.

My FIRST Mac was in 2002 or so (no idea what it was but the entire motherboard came out like a slot. The Drives had the connectors (Power and Interface) intergrated to the Logic Board Tray. It used EDO RAM and i believe ran a version of System 7. My Second PowerMac (I believer was a 9000 series desktop) ran System 7.1 but i couldnt do a thing with it. All those had a Lanucher which was the only way i knew HOW to run programs. and when i got my 1st REAL Mac, My iMac G3, with 8.6 i HATED the launcher. I didnt at all understand how to put programs into it.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Launcher was…well…for kids. Or the computer illiterate.

My first Mac was December 2001, but I already had two years in the newspaper industry by that point using G4s on OS9. Launcher just got in the way of server windows and double-clicking files to open them. Once you opened an app the point to Launcher quickly became useless. Especially, if like most designers, you leave your apps open.

It's only quite recently that I even became a fan of Quick Launchers. At least those stay out of the way when you don't need them.

19. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I was just pondering on this last night when I was in Tiger doing some scanning.

In OS 9, and I think earlier than that, Option+Click(or right click if enabled) in a finder window would bring up a contextual menu that would allow you to arrange the files as you wished or also "clean up" the arrangement(the equivalent of Windows "snap to grid.").

In Tiger-and I think older versions of OS X(although I lack a lot of experience with those) you have to select the finder window and then go up to the menu bar to have the same options.

Leopard-and all subsequent versions-have returned it to a contextual menu. I much prefer it that way, as it's a feature I use fairly often to help find files and clicking within the window makes so much more sense to me.

BTW, my first mac was running 10.7. I got in the habit of using Launchpad, but have used older versions of OS X(and Classic) in the time since that going to the Applications folder in finder just seems to me to be the natural way to do things now.

I do park frequently used stuff on the dock.

And, in OS 9, I can honestly say that I've never used the Launcher. Frequently used programs get an alias on the desktop, and all others are accessed through finder.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What killed me was when Yosemite took away labels. Jobs killed those in the early versions of OS X and they didn't come back until Panther. Now, they are gone again, in favor of 'tags'. It doesn't help me that this, combined with the fact that I cannot size a Finder window down beyond a certain size, makes it very difficult to determine which of our ads are new, house ads or pickups. We can't see the tags anymore because we size the 'Name' column out so we can see the full name of the folder/file listing. That pushes the 'tags' off to the right beyond view.

With labels that wasn't a problem because the color was a highlight. Not so now.

21. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've been using labels pretty heavily lately with my dissertation writing, as they make it easy to sort documents based on the subject(I use my own arbitrary colors for specific topics, but the concept is the same).

Mavericks reduced the labels down to a "dot" next to the file/folder name, which is a lot less obvious than highlighting the entire name(I think you an I have discussed this before) but at least you can still sort easily enough by tag. I haven't done any real work on Yosemite so didn't realize they were gone.

A while back, I pulled the 50 pin SCSI drive out of my Quadra 700(running System 7.5) and put it in my Digital Audio G4. I had a couple of purposes for doing this-one of which was to migrate the Q700 to a larger drive, and another of which was to burn a CD with some personal/professional correspondence for the original owner(who I still see on occasion). I quite pleasantly surprised to see that Tiger even was able to read the old tags on the HFS standard formated System 7 drive.

22. redheeler, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

How, by recycling the look of the home screen in iOS? The launchers you linked to look nothing like Launchpad, more like a folder full of applications or links to them. I would love to find a real Launchpad substitute for Leopard, instead of one that looks and functions like the Applications folder already does.

23. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Yes you are correct. I just recently ran Tiger and realized that you cant right click to arrange icons. (a feature i have been heavily spoiled by with Linux, Windows and Leopard.) And i found it irritating. I personally dont mind OS X. I learned how to use Mac OS X on Panther (it is what my high school had on their eMacs and iBook G4s) When i bought my eMac it had Panther on it (Which i immediately upgraded to Tiger) because NOTHING ran on Panther by 2012. I personally have used all versions of OS X from 10.2 and up (had to install 10.2 on my iMac G3 to install Panther) and i gotta say 10.2 is my least favourite version of OS X.

I have next to NO experience on OS 9.2.2 but DO have plenty of experience on 8.6. Overall I would settle for Tiger if I had to. I would STILL use Panther IF it were actually usable. Unfortunately the only thing you could use Panther for these days is either a File Server or a Internet Server. You could not use Panther as a Daily OS at all. I have been so spoiled by Leopard that even Tiger is not up to par.... nor compatible with what I want to do.

----------

Thanks for that info. I never understood what the Labels were ever for.

----------

Both of my Old-World PowerMacs i believe were Persona series the one i remember what it was was either a 6200 or a 9600. All i know is it ran System 7.1 and had a IDE HDD that was like 400MB in size the 1st mac i had had SCSI Drives.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I said that more in reference to the actual concept versus the implementation.

The look may be different, but the execution is the same. Click on an app in Launcher or Launchpad, the app opens. How it appears on screen between the two is of course, different.

Maybe Overflow?

25. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Of course they'll all be the same where execution is concerned, the purpose is to click and launch applications. The iOS home screen is functionally identical to Launchpad, so obviously that reminds you of Launcher in OS 9 as well.

BTW, the launcher you linked to is Intel only.