Leopard on iBook, 768mb ram

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jordan the Nerd, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Jordan the Nerd macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Hey.

My friend can lend me his Leopard disk, but I'm a bit unsure if Leopard can run fast enough.

It currently runs Tiger, and is useable, I don't know if the same can be said for Leopard. Has anyone ran it on an iBook, around the same amount of ram?

Oh, and trust me, I have looked into ram upgrades, but due to the built in 256 and the previous owners extra 512, I cannot, as there are no more ports, without losing a good 512.

2. Redline13 macrumors 6502

You can certainly run Leopard with amount of ram you currently have installed. The minimum specs require only 512mb. That said you would see an improvement if you upgrade it. The maximum about of ram your laptop can hold is 1.25 GB.

3. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Thanks. I looked into an upgrade, but I would end up losing the current 512mb, due to a lack of ports.

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

So you buy a 1GB stick for relatively cheap, and put the current 512MB stick on craigslist or ebay for $10... RAM is pretty cheap these days.

5. Redline13 macrumors 6502

To upgrade to 1.25 gb you would remove the 512 mb stick and install a 1 gb stick. it's super easy. Consider doing this if your going to keep the iBook for a while. It's a very inexpensive upgrade.

6. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

I just don't want to waste the 512 ram, as there is only two ports, one with the stock, Apple 256, and one with an added 512.

7. scottyboy macrumors newbie

I have run it on a 1.2 GHZ ibook with that amount of ram and it was too slow to the point it became frustrating.

It ran great with Tiger but Leopard slowed it down considerably. Just kept hammering the hard disk.

I would advise don't do it with that amount of ram

8. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Oh.

9. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I'm running it on an ibook G4 1.33Ghz with 1.25GB of Ram and it is certainly useable.
    It is very slow compared to an intel mac though.

I upgraded the ram to 1.25GB from 768mb when I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5 and imho there wasn't a great deal of difference. A little slower maybe..but nothing huge.

If at all possible max out the ram, its not expensive and makes a huge difference.

You can find it here at crucial for $50 for 1gig. Or here at OWC for 38 dollars.

10. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Ok. Well, I think I'll still go ahead, even though I can't really upgrade the RAM.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why not take out the 256 and replace it with 1 GB? :confused:

12. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd