Leopard on iMac Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by michaelmcgaw, Nov 6, 2007.

1. michaelmcgaw macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing a problem on my Al iMac at OS X shutdown time.

Leopard was installed with an "archive and install" from the CPU drop-in DVD over the top of a Tiger 10.4.10 install on the new Al iMac. Settings and applications were migrated from a Leopard based early 2006 iMac using the Migration Assistant.

At some point I've started to experience a shutdown problem.

I'll shut down the system and the shutdown appears to proceed normally, including the Finder terminating. After I have a "clean" desktop (that is, desktop pictures ONLY), I'll get the "one-second" throbber that remains on-screen indefinitely. This will happen whether or not I shut down using the power button or initiate the shutdown from the menu.

Does anyone have any idea how I might approach troubleshooting this issue? I really don't have any idea where to begin.

Thanks in advance!

2. michaelmcgaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Simple Answer

Well, I've managed to find the "problem."

If I disconnect from my AFP shares before I shut down the iMac, the iMac just shuts right now. If I fail to disconnect the AFP shares, the iMac on Leopard will just sit at a clock at shutdown, indefinitely.

Problem circumvented; I'm not sure what a true solution would be.

3. eetu macrumors member

i'm having the same problem. any more information about it?

thanks!

4. hoyla macrumors newbie

Same on MacBook Pro

Same problem shutting down on a MacBook Pro 15in 2.4GHz that has never seen any OS except 10.5 and 10.5.1.

Shut down is successful if no AFP shares mounted during session. Shut down is also successful if I "log out" and shut down from the login prompt (presumably because the shares are dropped).