Leopard on Macbook Pro 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EgoMagne, Apr 20, 2011.

1. EgoMagne macrumors newbie

Ok to begin with I am so unhappy with Snow Leopard that i really really need to roll back to Leopard but we are all aware of Apple's paranoid downgrade-fobia so yes following the designated paths we are not able to install earlier OS's on later machines. But lets say I am so determined that I bought a Leopard DVD and succeeded installing it on a new Macbook Pro 2011 (which came with Snow Leopard 1.6.6) using target disk mode. Would it recognize and make use of the new hardware? For instance the new turboboost processor? the new thunderbold port? the video card(s)? (and what not)... Are drivers for such hardware separately obtainable? If yes does anyone know how and where?

2. simsaladimbamba

What are you unhappy with in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

And as far as I know, there are no drivers for 2011 MBPs for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. I once read a thread, that someone had to downgrade a 2010 iMac due to work related software. It worked somehow, but it also had its problems and kernel panics were frequent.

3. bamf macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard is just a highly optimized version of Leopard. Really, what issues are making you unhappy with Snow Leopard?

4. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

It usually will not work to try to install a version earlier than what the MBP shipped with. Hardware drivers are not obtainable separately from Apple.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

ANYTHING other than what came with the machine WILL NOT work with the sandy bridge machines. This is what I was told by a genius. I had a problem with TIFF files not reading in Preview and Aperture. The 10.6.7 (or whatever 2011 MBP upgrade) fixed this problem.