leopard on my G4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheG3Guy, Sep 30, 2008.

1. TheG3Guy macrumors member

TheG3Guy

hi, i have a ibook G4 1GHz with 1.25gb Ram, and I tried o install leopard on it via target mode on my mac ini, with the leopard discs that came with the mini, but it gets to the screen and says it cannot be installed on this machine, is that because its locked to only mac minis-(the discs) or is it because it has a CD rom and needs a DVD rom. I also have access to a retail leopard disc in the near future , thanks

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Intel vs. PPC edition of Leopard on the install DVDs? Not sure if the disks are platform specific.

Typically the installers are tailored for the machine the disks came with, so even if both machines are Intel, the installers would not be happy.

Retail version of Leopard should work fine.

3. TheG3Guy thread starter macrumors member

TheG3Guy

the thing is i thought about that, but i used a powermac g4 tiger disc to put tiger on my upgraded 1.1GHz powrmac g3 B&W.........

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Still PPC platform.

I just noticed something, what do you mean you tried to install via Target Disk mode? you didn't place the disks directly into the iBook? :confused:

5. dual64bit macrumors 6502

Sounds like they put the install CD into the mini and target disk mode'd the mini so the cd-rom was visible from the g4. Very common when you have a busted CD-ROM.

The installer is tailored to the machine, you need a generic retail copy of Leopard 10.5

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Your G4 is more then capable of running Leopard but if you are trying to install your Intel Mac Mini's Leopard DVD onto your PPC G4 iBook, it will not work, even via target disk mode. You will need to purchase a Retail Leopard DVD or just wait until you get it to install it.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod