Leopard on my PB

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Smileyguy, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

While there's still a few months before it's launched, I'm currently mulling over whether or not to make the swtich to Leopard. I'm using a 12' Powerbook g4, 1.33Ghz, 768MB RAM. My use of the machine mainly centre around the internet, word processing, and iLife (iPhoto & iMovie mainly).

Now I know my system's specs are fine for Leopard, but I'm just wondering how it will affect performance? Should I expect it to run faster or slower, or about the same?

If it's going to run slower, I'll probably ignore it as I'm quite happy running 10.3 as I do now, though I am attracted by some of the features and would like to upgrade if it'll run well.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

2. smitty078 macrumors member

Because you are running 10.3 now, and you have enough ram for it, it will definitely be faster. Generally speaking, every major upgrade from Apple runs slightly faster than the release before it. (10.1 was WAY faster than 10.0, 10.2 was noticeably faster than 10.1, 10.3 was faster than 10.2, and 10.4 is about the same although still faster (depending on hardware) than 10.3). History only shows that you should expect 10.5 to be faster than all the previous versions, assuming you have hardware that meets requirements and has more than 512 mb of ram.

3. iBunny macrumors 65816

Why are you not running Tiger?

I have an iBook with similar specs... 1.33GHz G4 / 768 Ram / 60GB HDD.. and Its running 10.4.10 and its awesome. I will not be putting leopard on this machine however, Tiger is the end of the line for this old man.

4. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I've considered Tiger but, considering the features of the OS rather than any likely performance improvement, decided that there wasn't really a whole lot in it that I needed. I might as well wait for Leopard now.

5. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I think it will run a bit faster.

Get more ram, and than you'll be happier with it :)

1gb is a min!!

The Stig