Leopard on new drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by manyrains, Jan 16, 2009.

1. manyrains macrumors member

I've just installed a second HD in my Mac pro. I'm trying to install Leopard 10.5 from the disk I got when I bought the machine about a year ago. I believe i have the drive formatted/partitioned correctly. I'v e inserted the Leopard disk and have seen in other posts that I should power down and up again, holding "c" down to "boot from leopard DVD" Each time I power back up the disk ejects and it looks like normal boot. How do I install the leopard to the nw drive?
    Thanks

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Disk image, assuming you mean a bootable back-up of Leopard.

3. manyrains thread starter macrumors member

Sorry , I don't understand that at all. I'm very confused about understanding what's booting from where with what OS. I don't think I'm intending to do any back-up. I'm keeping my current HD as; starting with new disk to use soley for Pro Tools. Don't understand the Disk Image part. I keep reading or hearing about holding the c down while booting up-to evidently "boot from the Leopard DVD". It ejects. What happen i I were to click install on the Upgrade DVD- does it automatically install it to the current HD- or do you get a cgoice of where to install it to. Sorry if I don't make sense. Never done this before.

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You do not need to install Leopard on the new drive in your Mac Pro. All you need to do is format it... Preferably to OSX extended (journaled). You should be able to read from it and write to it just fine.

You can format by using disk utility.

5. manyrains thread starter macrumors member

Ok, sorry- didn't say that current drive is 10.4.11. Does that make a difference?

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

If you have a working installation of OS X and simply want to add another drive to store more of your data, iVeBeenDrinkin' is right, just run Disk Utility, you should see your new drive there, simply format it to the file system you want to use.

If you want to reinstall OS X on your new drive, you might have a slight problem there. Holding C with the DVD in the drive should boot from it instead of the hard drive. You can try holding alt instead - that will bring up all bootable drives for you to choose.

If nothing helps - it could be something is wrong with your OS DVD. Try downloading and burning a new one (let's say it's not quite illegal, since you own a license).

7. manyrains thread starter macrumors member

I got it to go- apparently wasn't holding c long enough.