Leopard on PowerBook G4 1.5ghz

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scan, Jun 7, 2009.

1. scan macrumors 6502

Does anyone have Leopard running on the old PB machines? If so, can you tell me about your experiences on Leopard and how much memory do you have?

2. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I run Leopard on a 12" G4 1Ghz Powerbook with 768mb of ram.
    Its, err, not fast by any means :D But its perfectly good for web use. Safari, Mail, iChat, that kind of thing.
    Still, not too shabby for a Mac thats getting on for 6 years old yet runs Apples latest/current OS.

3. scan thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright. Thanks. I guess I'll just keep Tiger on it.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I've run it on a 1.5Ghz 12" PBG4 with the max 1.25GB of RAM and it was perfectly acceptable. Depending on your tastes, I recommend at least 1GHZ and 1GB of RAM to run Leopard (from it's 866MHZ, 512MB requirements).

If you don't have a need for Leopard, then there is no reason to upgrade as Tiger will run better, and is still a great OS.

5. dxm113 macrumors member

Not recommended

I've been running Leopard for about a month on my 1.67GHz G4 PB w/ 1.5G ram, and I'm not too happy with how slow it is. I would stick to Tiger if I were you...

I wish I new how to go back to 10.4.11 - that was the smoothest OS on my PB

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Eh, it's decent on my 1.42 GHz eMac with 512 MB. Does everything I need it too, with minimal beachballing.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Same setup w. PB 12" and it runs fine. Not that many beachballs but the fans do crank. Come to think of it, they always did regardless of OS....;)

8. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I ran it on a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook G4, 768mb ram, it was pretty good the interface was bit slower than Panther though. Keep in mind that was an early version of Leopard just after release, the later ones may have improved.

9. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I had it running on my PBG4 with 1.3GHz processor and 2GB of RAM. I didn't see where it was running any slower than Tiger, be it UI responsiveness or general computing. In fact I would still be using it with no complaints except I needed more horsepower to do photo editing.

I'd say put it on, I really found no difference between the two.

Ruahrc