Leopard on Powerbook ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Titch Jobs, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Titch Jobs macrumors newbie

I am currently bidding for a Powerbook laptop on eBay and it has 120GB with a 1GB RAM.
    It has a 1.5GHz processor and is running OSX Tiger. Can this be eventually upgraded to OSX Leopard ??

Also can the RAM be easily upgraded ?? If so, what is the maximum amount it can take?

One last question....can the processor be upgraded at all?

Thanks

Mike

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

yes, it can be upgraded to leopard, but i'm not sure what the maximum ram capacity of that system is. finally, the cpu cannot be upgraded in any way whatsoever. good luck with the bidding.

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

I've got a 12" PB G4 with 1.5GHz processor. The max ram mine can take is 1.25gb which is what I've got in it. It's running Leopard absolutely fine.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It should run Leopard just fine. If you can though upgrade the ram.

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Leopard will run well on that computer, even with the 1GB of RAM.

6. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

PB G4 15" 1.67 mghz w/ 2GB RAM

I have the above mentioned PB with Leopard running on it and it runs great. Much better than with Tiger. I've the impression that Leopard now uses the video ram much more effectively, thus freeing up the CPU for other processes.

There are still a few kinks in Leopard, obviously. But all in all, it runs great and has given new life to my aging PB. In fact, since having installed Leopard, my need to upgrade to a new Mac has been shelved for the time being.

Cheers.

7. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I've got Leopard on a 1.25GHz PowerBook 15, with 1GB RAM, and no problems so far. So far, with my limited usage patterns, Leopard seems just as smooth on my PowerBook as on my iMac (2.0Ghz Core Duo), but then again, I do tend to treat my aging PB a bit differently...

8. Titch Jobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Just letting you guys know that I have won the bid on eBay. I won a PB with 512MB RAM that I can easily upgrade, 60GB Hardrive and OS X Tiger already installed and Office.

Thanks for all your help

Mike

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

congrats! now you do realize that you'll do yourself a great favor if you installed more memory into the thing? i've heard 2gb kingston kit for those models is a steal nowadays.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I have a 15" 1.5GHz powerbook with 1 gegs of RAM, it runs Leopard criminally fast compared to Tiger. It is almost like getting a CPU upgrade for free. FYI, I did an upgrade from Tiger not a clean install :cool:.

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yes defiantly More Ram and Maybe a Bigger Hard drive.

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I think the max RAM for your machine is 2 GB. I've got a 1.33 GHz PB and 2 GB is the most it can support.