Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
To anybody who has installed the Leopard Preview on a PPC Mac, is Classic still available or has Apple removed it?

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Odds are that it will be axed.

The real question is if bootcamp under PPC will allow us to easily repartition our PPC systems to load linux easily?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mr. Dee said:
To anybody who has installed the Leopard Preview on a PPC Mac, is Classic still available or has Apple removed it?
The last retail version of MacOS X that shipped with Classic was MacOS X 10.1. Classic is incompatible with Intel processors. However, there is no need to uninstall Classic when you upgrade the OS on your PPC-based Mac to Leopard. In fact, doing so can cause major problems for your workflow.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
MisterMe said:
The last retail version of MacOS X that shipped with Classic was MacOS X 10.1. Classic is incompatible with Intel processors. However, there is no need to uninstall Classic when you upgrade the OS on your PPC-based Mac to Leopard. In fact, doing so can cause major problems for your workflow.

Cool, thanks, never knew that about 10.1.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
the only classic apps i ever used were EV and EVO and now EVN has the pluggins and i finally registered it's all good.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
MisterMe said:
That was the last version that shipped with OS9 as a seperate disk. Classic has been included in all later PPC releases, but is now a cut down add-on to the main install.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Mr. Dee said:
We should clear up our terminology here...
Classic: Classic is an application that creates an environment for running Mac OS 8/9 native applications. The Classic application requires a Mac OS 9 (version 9.2.x) System Folder to be located on some mounted (read/write) volume.

Mac OS 9: The software that on older Macs can be used as an operating system and on newer PowerPC Macs is used by Classic to create an application environment for pre-Mac OS X apps.​
Okay, that having been said... Apple does not supply Mac OS 9 with the retail version of Mac OS X. It stopped supplying the Mac OS 9 installation disks with the release of Mac OS X v10.2.

Apple has supplied a copy of the Mac OS 9 System Folder with every PowerPC Mac that they have sold... though in recent years it has not come preinstalled on the hard drives of those systems (it can be found on the accompanying media).

So, will there be Classic included with Mac OS X v10.5 for PowerPC... yes. Will it include the Mac OS 9 System Folder needed for Classic to run... no.

And for those wondering why I'm so sure of this... the Classic software in Mac OS X is basically a freebie for Apple now. Apple has spent zero development effort on Classic since the release of 10.3. So including it with 10.5 (and most likely 10.6 too) for PowerPC requires no additional effort on Apple's part.

:rolleyes:

Still, it would be nice if Apple put a little effort into Classic. The bug with AdobePS is sort of a pain for some of my clients. And more and more Classic apps are having issues with the larger hard drives of systems these days.

I really doubt that Apple will address any of these as there are work arounds, and like I said, they had pretty much stopped all development on Classic quite some time ago.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
On Intels, the new classic for new people will be XP. They will use Boot Camp to use it. They won't even understand or know about old Classic.

I will miss Classic when my last PPC machine dies. I like to dabble with it every once in awhile.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Bobdude161 said:
it will be a sad day when Classic is completely exterminated from the functionality of OS X.

Why should Apple continue to support an OS that's more than 5 years old? I'd rather see them do more R&D on new stuff, not trying to maintain Classic. You don't see Microsoft supporting Windows 98, so I see no reason for Classic to still be supported.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
yg17 said:
Why should Apple continue to support an OS that's more than 5 years old?
Apple doesn't support the OS... providing Classic is for supporting older applications by providing an environment in which they can still run.

I'd rather see them do more R&D on new stuff, not trying to maintain Classic.
They do no R&D on Classic now, and haven't for a few years now. Keeping it requires no effort on Apple's part.

And has no effect on you or anyone else who doesn't need it.

You don't see Microsoft supporting Windows 98, so I see no reason for Classic to still be supported.
Supporting Windows 98 required constant effort on Microsoft's part... Microsoft had a laundry list of repairs that Windows 98 needed done right up to the day (last month) that they dropped support.

Mac OS 9 hasn't been updated or patched since 9.2.2 was released back in 2001... with no adverse effect on users still using that system.

localghost

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
any word or educated guess on the system requirements of 10.5?

i know this is a little off topic, but i figured it could be interesting for those who still use classic applications, too.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
if they were going to be harsh then a mac with USB 2 would be required, if lenient then they would use the same requirements as with tiger.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Most if not all of the apps for 9 are available or have equivalents for OS X now, so there isn't much need to continue Classic support.

BornAgainMac said:
I will miss Classic when my last PPC machine dies. I like to dabble with it every once in awhile.
I have an LC 575 which still has System 8 on it, and i love to go back to the old school sometimes. Amazing how much they have progressed in 13 years...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Macmadant said:
i seriously doubt it, apple said OS9 was dead 4 years ago, i wouldn't be surprised
Until last week, the PPC was the basis of all of Apple's professional-level computers except the MacBook Pro. Apple has a legal obligation to support its computers for five years. For the next five years and beyond PPC-based Macs will be used because their owners are happy with them. Some owners will stick with PPC-based Macs precisely because they need Classic. Apple loses nothing by not removing Classic support and it keeps important elements of the installed base happy.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Judging by this screenshot from Leopard, I'd say no.

1.jpg

(The Classic preferences icon on 10.4 is right next to Accounts.)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Presumeably, that is an Intel-based Mac. It would not have Classic installed because, as has been explained too many times to count, Classic does not work on Intel-based computers. Even on PPC-based Macs, the Classic preferences pane appears only on computers with Classic installed.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
MisterMe said:
Until last week, the PPC was the basis of all of Apple's professional-level computers except the MacBook Pro. Apple has a legal obligation to support its computers for five years. For the next five years and beyond PPC-based Macs will be used because their owners are happy with them. Some owners will stick with PPC-based Macs precisely because they need Classic. Apple loses nothing by not removing Classic support and it keeps important elements of the installed base happy.

Apple said on their site there is only one version of leopard, universal, so why would it include classic when intel macs can't run it ?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Bobdude161 said:
it will be a sad day when Classic is completely exterminated from the functionality of OS X.

Ah yes, very sad... All new Macs are Intel, and Classic doesn't run on Intel Macs, so as far as I'm concerned Classic is dead and buried - and I like it that way.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Macmadant said:
Apple said on their site there is only one version of leopard, universal, so why would it include classic when intel macs can't run it ?
So are you saying that Leopard isn't going to include Boot Camp? If you are saying that because Leopard is universal it won't have items that both platforms can run, then Boot Camp would be just as likely to be dropped as Classic by your logic.
Question: Why did NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP include items for Intel based systems that weren't there for NeXT hardware on the same installation CDs?

Answer: Because those items were hardware specific.​
The installation media may have both PowerPC and Intel versions on it, but that doesn't mean that the installed OS is Universal... it won't be. The installer will install what your hardware requires (either PowerPC or Intel elements). Bundled apps that are designed to be Universal, will be installed on both systems, and things that are specific (Boot Camp and Classic) will only get installed on the systems that support them.

We aren't talking rocket science here... this isn't the first time the people at Apple have gone down this path (even if this is all new to most Mac users).

Still not quite sure why people who don't need it or don't use it are so adamant about wanting it removed. It is still helpful to some people and doesn't hurt anyone.

It is pretty scary when people want to see something negative happen to people just to see those people suffer. What type of person gets pleasure from that type of thing? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.