Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience of the most recent build of Leopard on one of the new C2D mac minis or the bottom of the range C2D macbook (the nearest equivalent). I'm toying with the idea of converting my mum around Christmas time and I'm curious to know as to whether all the graphical bluster of Leopard causes problems on this configuration of whether it'll be a good user experience. I appreciate that it's early days and that the final release will undoubtedly be further optimised, but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

Please don't turn this into a 'you'd be better off with an iMac' thread. :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Around christmas we will probably be on 10.5.1, so it is rather early to ask these questions.

However people have reported it working alright on their Core Duo macbooks, so i think it'll be fine on the mini.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience of the most recent build of Leopard on one of the new C2D mac minis or the bottom of the range C2D macbook (the nearest equivalent). I'm toying with the idea of converting my mum around Christmas time and I'm curious to know as to whether all the graphical bluster of Leopard causes problems on this configuration of whether it'll be a good user experience. I appreciate that it's early days and that the final release will undoubtedly be further optimised, but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

Please don't turn this into a 'you'd be better off with an iMac' thread. :)

It will work fine on any C2D Mac. No worries at all! If they will run on older G4 800mhz then they will run on a mac mini. Here are the system requirements:

* A G4 (800 MHz or faster)-, G5- or Intel-based Mac
* A DVD drive
* At least 512 MB RAM
* 7 GB of hard disk space – 12 GB if Xcode is also installed[6]
* The latest Firmware
* FireWire Ports

So don't worry about it. Get your Mom a Mac! I want to get my mom a Mac too... Nothing says "I love you" like a Macintosh.

The Stig

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
London
Obviously the sensible thing is to ask again around christmas time when we are on to the first revision of Leopard and people know for sure, but I'm trying to waste time by pricing it all up now!! I know it's supposed to work on a G4 - I have a 1Ghz powerbook that can't wait to meet it - but my mother is a mac novice in a family with at least one mac hater, so I want a system that doesn't just scrape by. Undoubtedly the current bottom of the range mini should put my current system to shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.