Leopard or Tiger on my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iCeFuSiOn, Jan 14, 2008.

1. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I'm picking up a MacBook Pro tomorrow (HURRAY! This is my first true Mac purchase so I'm thrilled) from Future Shop in Canada, and they still have 10.4 Tiger installed on their MacBook Pro's. They said I can upgrade to Leopard for $9.99 + S&H from Apple, although I may not make that window depending on my schedule. Because of this, I've got boxed copies of OS X 10.5 and iWork '08 sitting home, but I did not realize that you need iLife '08 as well as it isn't actually bundled into OS X.

My question is:

1. Should I upgrade to Leopard right now and then install iWork 08 and iLife 08
    2. Should I upgrade to Leopard and install iWork 08 and then iLife 06 off Tigers DVD
    3. Should I just stick with Tiger?

The MacBook Pro I'm getting is a 15" 2.2 GHz C2D w/ 2GB RAM, it's Santa Rosa. Please help quick!

Thanks!

P.S.: Yes, I know MacWorld is tomorrow and something is being unveiled but honestly I don't care. I can't order from the Apple store because of the amount of time it will take and this is a machine I will be happy with, so I'll go with this one regardless.

2. one1 macrumors 65816

The only thing that matters is this....... Do you have programs like Adobe Elements that you'd like to continue to use? Leo will break some programs.

If the answer is no, then do it. If the answer is yes, you aren't missing anything blatantly obvious and special.

3. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, I've got Photoshop (educational copy) on Windows but I can't get it on the Mac without paying an arm, leg, and giving Adobe my firstborn child, so I was going to settle for Seashore or something free for any basic editing, or maybe Gimp.

Any issues with Leopard on the MBP that would make me want to stay on Tiger?

4. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I don't think iLife was on the Tiger DVD so I don't think you can install it off of the disc. Unless you have iLife and iWork (doesn't matter if they're '06 or '08) already, I would keep Tiger installed if it already has iLife. If you do have iLife and iWork, then I would install Leopard. And when installing 10.5, instead of doing an "update", I would do a clean install, as long as you don't have anything on it already. These options come up when you install Leopard. When it asks to if you want to "update," click the "more options" button and do "erase and install." Hope this helps. Oh, and your computer will be great. It is the exact same kind and configuration that I am typing this on. Love it!

5. one1 macrumors 65816

Not really. I've never had an error in any way whatsoever.

Leo mail has a complaint with not being able to see the mail activity anymore like you used to be able to when you hit send/receive (or get mail). There used to be a spinning ball beside the inbox and a sound, now all you get is a sound. if your speakers are off, you can't tell if it even ran the action or not.

My only complaint. Flawless otherwise.

6. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I havent bought iLife 08 yet but I already have Leopard and iWork 08 so I might as well just buy iLife 08 and do a clean install of Leopard unless anyone can give me a reason not to? I'm so totally stoked on this, I've been a Windows user for 15 years so pardon my ignorance when it comes to upgrading software and OS on the Mac . Also, Glad to hear that I've made a good choice on the hardware.

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

For now I (and most of the folks I work with) am sticking with Tiger. Our systems work and we don't want to experience any of the difficulties reported by users. Also, CS2 for Mac is not supported under Leopard. For now I'd stick with Tiger.

Cheers,

8. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

<Well, I havent bought iLife 08 yet but I already have Leopard and iWork 08 so I might as well just buy iLife 08 and do a clean install of Leopard unless anyone can give me a reason not to? I'm so totally stoked on this, I've been a Windows user for 15 years so pardon my ignorance when it comes to upgrading software and OS on the Mac . Also, Glad to hear that I've made a good choice on the hardware.>

That's what I would do. Just buy iLife '08 and do it all at once. Also are you getting a glossy or matte display? And, welcome to the Mac side!

9. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Matte. I have a glossy display on my craptacular HP laptop and I hate it, horrible for any design work.

Is there anything I should do to get the most out of the mac or with leopard? I do plan on applying that menu bar and 2D dock tweak ive heard alot about, unless of course the new style grows on me (and it may who knows ill give it a few days)

10. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

Just don't abuse it, and it should treat you well. I've also got matte. As for the dock, I downloaded a program called DockChanger. With it, you can change whether it is 2D or 3D and the colors.

11. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't plan on abusing it thats for sure, I'm actually going to be buying a good laptop bag and a wireless apple keyboard and a wireless mighty mouse so I don't put too much wear on the hardware.

12. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, I'm assuming the general consensus is to just get iLife 08 and install Leopard on it, right? Im hearing Leopard is further optimized for Intel Macs, so I suppose this would be a good idea...

I want to have the best Mac experience possible... I worked hard to come up with the $2600 CAD it's going to cost me to do this, and I've been wanting to do this now for quite some time.

13. gpeden macrumors regular

Hi,

Buying from FutureShop will give you the chance to return it for a full refund or exchange if there's anything wrong with the LCD. This is why I bought from London Drugs. Same Deal :)

ANYway.... I don't understand what the problem is. Are you sure that the computer and restore disks will not have iLife '08 on them? The MBP with Tiger that I bought on Nov. 2 had it! Can't one upgrade to Leopard and keep them? Or even do a reformat, install Leopard and "pluck" the application from the Tiger install disks if reformatting is desired?

Cheers!

Glen

14. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

The laptop comes with Tiger and iLife '06. To the best of my understand, for an optimal experience, one would need to have iLife '08 with Leopard (which I purchased seperately, today). My question is, should I install Leopard and iWork 08 and iLife 08 or just stick with Tiger that comes with the notebook?

15. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

If you have Leopard, then definitely install it. If not, Tiger is great as well, and pretty much flawless. It's up to you.

16. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just want this to be flawless and stable as a rock, really.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Go ahead and install Leopard on it with iLife and iWork. Play with it for awhile first. If you have any issues, you can always wipe it and put Tiger on it, then upgrade to iLife and iWork '08 from there, then Leo later when updates come out. You should be fine with a clean install of Leo though.

Also, ask Adobe about their cross platform upgrade options, or see if you can get an educational version.